VMware Cloud Community
vipes27
Contributor
Contributor

Server won't boot up

I have a Server 2008 vm that won't boot up. I installed some Windows Updates and then restarted. I see the Windows splash screen and then it just goes black. I did a hard shutdown and powered it back on and tried booting into both Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking. Both times, it freezes after crcdisk.sys. Is the only way to fix this a repair using the install disk? I do have a backup of the server in Veeam but it's a month old and I just did a backup of the databases to the local C drive before I did the Windows Updates and restart. If I do a restore, it will wipe out those backups. Is there a way to access the C drive of the vm without logging in, just so I can copy those database backups?

4 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

Yes, if you have another VM, just attach the VMDK to a running VM and you will be able to retrieve all the DATA.

Regards,

Julien;

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
vMariaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi vipes27, thank you for chosing Veeam! Quick question - why don't you keep backups offsite? This will help you to reduce risks.

I should also mention the 3-2-1 rule which states: 

• Keep 3 copies of your backup file.
  • Use 2 different types of media to keep your backup files.
  • Store 1 copy offsite.

----

Veeam Community Manager

---- Veeam Community Manager
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Is there a way to access the C drive of the vm without logging in, just so I can copy those database backups?

Using a second VM sounds like a good idea - but I would not do that for several reasons:

if the "damaged" VM has a snapshot you cant add the whole chain to a second VM via the GUI - and so often only the basedisk is used. This corrupts the snapshot-chain and can easily corrupt the consistency of the latest state - for example it can easily happen that a checkdisk of the "damaged" vmdk is triggered and allowing checkdisk to run would make atters much worse.

In many scenarios using a Windows-system disk with a second VM changes the driveletters - again something that happens very quickly but is hard to fix later.

The best way to repair such damaged vmdks is to use an appropriate LiveCD - in your case any recent Win7 LiveCD would work.
Advantage: no danger to mess up driveletters , no danger to damage a complex snapshot-chain by breaking up the current VM settings.

Very useful would be a Windows 7 LiveCD which has the tools from Erdcomander or the later version called Dart if I remeber right.
Those CDs have for example tools to uninstall recently installed patches.

When you use a LiveCD you could boot the VM without modifications - when you then find out that the filesystem is damaged you would power off again - take a snapshot and boot into the LiveCD again.
Now running an extensive checkdisk against the existing vmdk can do no harm.
Either you can then fix the issue - by disabling services that fail - or you can at least access the data and copy te important pieces to a network share ...

Another safe way - use the VDDK kit and mount the vmdk remotely - readonly - this also usually does no harm

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Just want to add only few line as continuum explained very well .

If you have snapshot try to merge those then add with another another vm or try to use v2v tool ,might resolve this .

" I take a decision and make it right."
0 Kudos