VMware Cloud Community
nlc2013
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server Migration Issue

Hi

I'm planning on migrating a number of servers between 2 clusters under the same datacenter. At present the two clusters don't have access to the same network adaptor so vMotion is not possible, that's fine and will be resolved shortly. However I'm getting another error message though which reads as follows:

The virtual machine requires hardware features that are unsupported or disabled on the target host:

*general incompatibilities

If possible use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled; see KB article 1003212.

CPUID details: incompatibility at level 0x1 register 'ecx'

Host bits: 0110:0010:1001:1000:0010:0010:0000:0011

Required: x0xx:x01x:1001:10xx:xxxx:xx1x:xxxx:x011

I'm assuming that this is because the CPUs in the hosts are slightly different between the two clusters, all hosts in both clusters are IBM HS23 blades but...

cluster 1 - Inter(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-26700 @ 2.60GHz

cluster 2 - Inter(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650v2 @ 2.60GHz

Can someone please advise if there is anything I can do to get rid of this error, if I power off the VMs first I can migrate them and they will function with no issue however I would really like to avoid system downtime if possible.

I'm assuming that the solution may involve EVC (this is currently disabled on both clusters) however I'd like some confidence that enabling this won't cause any connection issues etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

that's right. you need downtime to enable EVC on an existing cluster.

but that's why I was suggesting different solution.

1) Create a brand new cluster, enable EVC on it.

-- Please find out which intel CPU baseline would be suitable for your two models which you are planning to mix. [Let me give you a simple example, If I have two AMD hosts, one with AMD Optron G1 and another with AMD Optron G2 CPUs, I would create an empty cluster with EVC enabled, baseline for EVC set to AMD Optron Generation 1, powerdown all the running VMs in both the hosts, put them in maintenance mode and drag them into cluster, exit the maintenance mode and start power on VMs]

-- you have following two CPU in your clustered hosts. I am not too sure which suitable Intel CPU baseline would be applicable for them, please try to find that out first.

2) now empty one host each from cluster 1 and 2, that will be your initial test environment, start bringing VMs into this third cluster. While doing this you might need cold migration from both the clusters, but most likely you would be able to bring VMs from at least one of your cluster with the help of vMotion.

3) if things work well for you, gracefully plan all the hosts to join this cluster and get rid of remaining empty clusters.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

how many hosts are there in each cluster?

EVC is a cluster based feature, but across the cluster it cannot be enabled.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

please refer following KB, try to find out if there's EVC compatibility across those two CPUs.

VMware KB: Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support

If you wish to create cluster with EVC, for that detailed guidelines are given on bellow documentation link

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc%2FGUID-FBE2E...

I am sure, if you plan nicely, you will not have to face any downtime. But you might end up creating a third cluster in this transition process, and at the end, if you wish to keep just two, that will also be possible.

0 Kudos
nlc2013
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are 4 hosts in cluster 1 and 3 hosts in cluster two.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would strongly recommend to prepare a little test environment.

1) assess both the CPUs models, to find out which would be your CPU baseline when you enable EVC

2) create a third cluster with EVC turned on and add two hosts into it (1 from each existing cluster) - I am not too sure if this is possible for you as you might be running full load already on those clusters.

3) on this newly create cluster, If let's say your baseline is exactly same as Cluster 1 CPU then you will be able to vMotion migrate any VM from there. But in that case VMs from Cluster 2 needs to be cold migrated into this cluster.

Or'

3) on this newly create cluster, If let's say your baseline is exactly same as Cluster 2 CPU then you will be able to vMotion migrate any VM from there. But in that case VMs from Cluster 1 needs to be cold migrated into this cluster.

4) slowly slowly keep bringing VMs from one of the cluster to this newly created Cluster and carry on adding hosts. This way if you wish you can have just two clusters also you will be able to achieve it.

So, initial setup is going to give you some downtime for all the services in one of your existing cluster. but once the setup is ready, in future you won't face trouble migrating VMs from one cluster to other.

nlc2013
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for getting back to me, the reason for the migrations is to clear all hosts in cluster 1 and run only on cluster 2 (the two clusters are in physically separate Chassis and we are decommissioning cluster 1s chassis) We have the capacity to completely clear at least 1 host in cluster 1 so what you are suggesting is feasible. Would the following work to solve my problem:

• vMotion the remaining VMs off of host 4 in cluster1
  • Put host 4 into maintenance mode and remove from the cluster.
  • Power down host 4 and physically move it to the cluster 2 chassis
  • Power on host 4 and configure to work in cluster 2 chassis
  • Add host 4 to cluster 2 and bring out of maintenance mode.
  • Vmotion VMs from cluster 1 to host 4 within the cluster 2
  • Enable EVC on the cluster 2 to allow vmotion between all hosts in the cluster
0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Physical movement part is OK. BUT

At the time of enabling EVC, you cannot have powered on VMs or hosts (alternatively leave hosts into maintenance mode) in your cluster.

0 Kudos
nlc2013
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok so you need to power down to enable EVC?

So my plan would get all VMs into cluster 2 but I would then be unable to vMotion between hosts in that cluster with differing CPU properties?

Thanks

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

that's right. you need downtime to enable EVC on an existing cluster.

but that's why I was suggesting different solution.

1) Create a brand new cluster, enable EVC on it.

-- Please find out which intel CPU baseline would be suitable for your two models which you are planning to mix. [Let me give you a simple example, If I have two AMD hosts, one with AMD Optron G1 and another with AMD Optron G2 CPUs, I would create an empty cluster with EVC enabled, baseline for EVC set to AMD Optron Generation 1, powerdown all the running VMs in both the hosts, put them in maintenance mode and drag them into cluster, exit the maintenance mode and start power on VMs]

-- you have following two CPU in your clustered hosts. I am not too sure which suitable Intel CPU baseline would be applicable for them, please try to find that out first.

2) now empty one host each from cluster 1 and 2, that will be your initial test environment, start bringing VMs into this third cluster. While doing this you might need cold migration from both the clusters, but most likely you would be able to bring VMs from at least one of your cluster with the help of vMotion.

3) if things work well for you, gracefully plan all the hosts to join this cluster and get rid of remaining empty clusters.

0 Kudos
nlc2013
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok that makes sense.

If we got the baseline wrong for the 3rd cluster what do you need to do to change it? power down all hosts in the cluster?

Thanks

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, any modifications in EVC mode are going to need downtime.

0 Kudos
nlc2013
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok Thanks for your help, I'll give it some thought and feedback on progress when we do the work.

0 Kudos