VMware Cloud Community
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server Hardware Choices

So, I've gotten some budget to upgrade my ESX environment... currently I have three HP DL380 G5 servers. Planning to replace them with 4-5 new hosts, and move the existing to my DR environment.

I specced out some DL380 G7s, and then as I was about to submit the numbers to the food chain, I realized that an important question needed to be asked.

Why 380s? Why not say... 180s? There's a noticable price difference.

The 380s appear to have more expansion slots in them, and a higher total capacity (RAM slots, for example).. which as far as I can tell, is the only meaningful difference.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why I shouldn't buy 180s instead of 380s, if I'm not planning on getting more than 40gb(ish) of RAM in each host? Both have the expansion slots I need for a quad port NIC and two Fibre HBAs. Both have enough CPU sockets/cores.

DL180 G6:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-3328421-3884339.html

DL380 G7:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-241475-4091412.html

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do remember that this is the last version of ESX. Beyond 4.1 your only choice will be ESXi.

The 180 supports large format drives. Probably not important in a shared storage environment. The 180 uses ILO 100 and, at least in earlier models, does not support CIM hardware feedback like the ILO in the 380. If it isn't on the HCL it won't be on HPs support list either. Any issues you may run into will have less attention than a device on the HCL. Involves less hair pulling in the event of a problem. Hair restore cream can be expensive.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can't - if it meets your needs then go for it - the only concern i would raise is a lot of the models come without harddrives and additional PSU's - If you add them on then i wonder if the price difference is sufficient between a 180 and a 380. I have noticed that the cheapest systems for each model is only $5 difference.

amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The DL180 does not appear to be on the hardware compatability list for vSphere so DL380 may be the only way to go out of the 2 options.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=server&product...

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Looks like the 180 isn't certified to run ESXi only ESX. Might want to check into that.

ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your input!

Yes, they all only come (base model) with one PSU and no HDDs, but the costs for HDDs will be the same and I suspect that a DL180's PSU will cost less than a DL380's PSU (lower wattage requirements, possibly). I've not checked, but it stands to reason.

I'm not sure though where you only saw a $5 difference - the configurable base model for the DL180 starts at $1,334 and the configurable base model for the DL380 starts at $2,299.. maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are planning on remaining with ESX, not ESXi (I like the RHEL server... lots of flexibility), so as long as it's ESX compatible that's all that will matter to me.

I do see it though, in the VMware HCL as being supported on ESX 4.1, ESX 4.0 U2, and ESX 4.0 U1.

Lots of posts in the time I took to reply to the first, thank you everyone!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do remember that this is the last version of ESX. Beyond 4.1 your only choice will be ESXi.

The 180 supports large format drives. Probably not important in a shared storage environment. The 180 uses ILO 100 and, at least in earlier models, does not support CIM hardware feedback like the ILO in the 380. If it isn't on the HCL it won't be on HPs support list either. Any issues you may run into will have less attention than a device on the HCL. Involves less hair pulling in the event of a problem. Hair restore cream can be expensive.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is disappointing... I liked my RHEL. I guess when I reprovision my production hosts to my DR environment, I'll have to put ESXi on them to get used to it.

The fact that ESX 4.1 is the last release of ESX, and the DL180s are not on the ESXi HCLs is pretty much a show stopper for me.. I like to update my hosts to new releases fairly quickly after the new releases are out. And if new releases are ESXi only, that means I won't be able to CYA with HCLs.

Guess that means I'm going with the DL380s. Points awarded.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You won't need local storage for ESXi. The current HPs have an internal SD card slot for installing ESXi. You might want to consider getting the HP SD card when you order.

0 Kudos