VMware Cloud Community
indyvmuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server BIOS

Novice question .... I have 3 Dell PE2950 that I need to update the BIOS. I know I can place the .bin file in a temp folder and upgrade the BIOS by launching from the console. But, I would like a solution to be able to boot to a device.,. CD or USB. If I can boot to a CD or USB, can't I just run the .exe BIOS update? I haven't updated a BIOS on an ESX server, so I didn't know if I HAD to run the .bin version or not. If I run it from the console, of course I need to run the .bin, but if I boot to an external device, can I run the .exe version? I know this is an easy answer, but I don't have a server to test.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Bootable media implies some sort of bootstrapping OS. Instructions would depend highly on what you used to boot. If you're using a dos/windows based boot device (cd or usb), then you would use an exe to update, and if you used a linux-based boot device, then you would be using the approach similar to what is done on the ESX console.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Here is the instructions (Attachment) I wrote to update the BIOS on a Dell 2950: Obviously this is done while the host is in maintenance mode.

Hope this helps

Mike.

indyvmuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know how to run that update from the console, I just wanted to know about running it from a bootable media and if I can use the .exe from that media.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Bootable media implies some sort of bootstrapping OS. Instructions would depend highly on what you used to boot. If you're using a dos/windows based boot device (cd or usb), then you would use an exe to update, and if you used a linux-based boot device, then you would be using the approach similar to what is done on the ESX console.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
indyvmuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I didn't think it mattered how the BIOS was delivered , .EXE or .BIN , just as long as it's delivered by a supporting OS. CD\USB based on Windows the .EXE, console then .BIN. We have the need to run updates from a bootable media via DRAC console, so I just wanted to make sure the .exe would work just the same as the .bin.

Thanks all!

0 Kudos