Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Server 2016 Hot Add CPU gets BSOD "UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR"

ESXi host is 6.0.0 7967664

vCenter (Windows) 6.0.0 5112527

VM Hardware version: 11

All Procs on the blades are all Intel E5-2690 v3

I have a Server 2016 VM I used as a template. It used to work fine.

Yesterday I deployed a few VM's from it and when I tried to hot add a cpu, I got the BSOD "UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR".

See attached pic.

Most likely something goofy with the template but I want to use the VM's I deployed to troubleshoot then when I find a fix I'll apply it to the template.

Anyone run into this?

I found an article: https://vinfrastructure.it/2018/05/windows-server-2016-reboot-after-hot-adding-cpu-in-vsphere-6-5/

But that doesn't fix my problem and my situation does not start with 2GB or less ram. My template starts with more RAM and I can't step down to a lower version because hardware version 10 does not support Server 2016.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nzdudeinsydney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We logged a case with Microsoft (REG:118070418514339] Guest 2016 OS bluescreens when hot-adding CPU in VMware)

The engineer came back with the following:

I have worked with my team to check the dump again, and we found this issue is the known problem existing on the Win 2016 OS version, and now our product team is actively working on this for a fix. When add hot-CPU, system will check the CPU flag, while it encounter issue when compare the CPU flag between the new added one and the existing one.

Now our product team and the developer team are working on this issue to look for a resolution. I have contact them before, and it seems the fix for this issue would be released at the end of August this year in the security update. I will keep you update once I get the fix.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you applying any CPUID masks to this VM? Is it fully patched?

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, not applying any CPU mask and the VM is fully patched.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is a known issue if the RAM assigned to vm is below 4 GB. Can you increase it to 6 GB to test?

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still happens when 4/6/8GB RAM, and our machines are hardware version 11

Logged a ticket with Microsoft Premier Support: 118070418514339.

Any other tickets I can reference, either VMware or Microsoft?

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, No matter what size I set RAM, the BSOD still occurs when I hot add a CPU whether it's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 vCPU(s).

Please keep us up to date on what Microsoft says.

Thanks

0 Kudos
briannh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having this issue as well.  I have narrowed it down to KB4284880.  After removing this update I no longer experienced any crashes when adding processors.  KB4284880 was superseded by KB4284833 so if you have it installed you will not see KB4284880 until you remove KB4284833.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284880/windows-10-update-kb4284880

nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BSOD is also happening on Windows Server 2008 R2 while hot-adding CPUs if Windows Update KB4284826 is installed.

0 Kudos
briannh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can also duplicate the BOD on Server 2008 R2 with KB4284826 installed.  I have not been able to duplicate this on Server 2012 yet.

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't have any issue on Windows Server 2012.

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have opened a ticket with Microsoft and will share once a solution is found.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you please share us the solution and also a KB from MS if any?

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
briannh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New updates were released for Windows Server 2008 and 2016 yesterday, KB4338814 for 2012 and KB338818 for 2008.  Unfortunately they did not resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
nzdudeinsydney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We logged a case with Microsoft (REG:118070418514339] Guest 2016 OS bluescreens when hot-adding CPU in VMware)

The engineer came back with the following:

I have worked with my team to check the dump again, and we found this issue is the known problem existing on the Win 2016 OS version, and now our product team is actively working on this for a fix. When add hot-CPU, system will check the CPU flag, while it encounter issue when compare the CPU flag between the new added one and the existing one.

Now our product team and the developer team are working on this issue to look for a resolution. I have contact them before, and it seems the fix for this issue would be released at the end of August this year in the security update. I will keep you update once I get the fix.

nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@nzdudeinsydney, Thank you very much for the updates!

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The latest communication from Microsoft: "We are already working on fix to address this issue and it will be released on 14th of August (Patch Tuesday)".

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Microsoft will give you a KB / Hotfix number.

Can you please post that for everyone here so we all search for it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any update on this?  We are having the same problem after installing KB4284880.  Is there a new patch available?

Thanks

NK

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This appears to be fixed now.  I tested on a fully patched (August) Windows 2016 VM and was able to add a second CPU without a BSOD.  Unfortunately, I don't know specifically which patch fixed this.

NK

0 Kudos