VMware Cloud Community
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2012 doesn't reboot

Hi,

We have a few servers running Server 2012 Standard on our ESXI 5U1 boxes.

When in the OS and going to reboot the machine they don't restart, they will log you out and not let you log back in (via RDP). If you go to VSphere and open the console the machine is sat on the log on screen and won't let you do ctrl alt del.

The only way to get the machine to do anything is to do a hard reset on the VM - this is ahppening on most of our 2012 servers on different phsyical boxes.
They all have VMT Tools installed and running.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ciandro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! Let me get more color:

1. Did you install VMTools and is it up to date? If yes, check if the service is running.
  2. What hardware are you using?
  3. How do you connect to storage?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

VMTools is installed on the machine, it was installed from the ESXi host - looking at it it's version 8.6.5, the update tools button is greyed out. Is this the latest verison if not where can I get the latest version from?

The phsyical host is a DELL R310 single CPU quad core with 32GB RAM, the VM is stored on the local HDD of the host (not ideal but was like this when I took over the IT here)

Cheers,

0 Kudos
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running about 10 WS2012 on vSphere 5.1 and I do not have this problem but I have som information for you.

When you choose shutdown/reboot your RDP session closes and the server will start to shutdown/reboot but you will not see the status of the shutdown in the Console like previously on Server 2k, 2k3, 2k8 and so on.

I don't even think the message "Windows is being updated, ... ..." is shown anymore - if you choose to shutdown/reboot via RDP.

So if you want to see the status of the shutdown/reboot - Use the Console to initiate
If you want to use RDP for reboots/shutdown - Just be patient...

0 Kudos
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

When I shutdown/reboot via RDP but watch the VSphere console the machine just logs out and doesn't do anything, I have left it for a very long time and nothing happens.

I do have a couple of 2012 servers which work fine. I'm not sure if its a Windows update thats causing the issue.

What version of VMTools do you have installed?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I run latest. v9.0.1.

What happens when you reboot through VMware console? Clean reboot without any delay? Any information?

0 Kudos
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

I get exactly the same issue, it logs the machine out and then sits there at the login screen and won't let me log back in.

Where can I download the latest version? Mine doesn't seem to be updating

Cheers

0 Kudos
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update your ESXi host with latest patches.
The patches includes new client version of VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Where can I download the latest version? Mine doesn't seem to be updating

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/index.html

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant, thank you - can I update the VMTools without patching the ESXi for the time being?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sure...

Will these work on 5.0 U1? They properly will..

Is it supported? No.. I don't think so according to the VMware Compatibility Guide

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

OK - I may hold of and try to uypgrade the host rather than just the VMTools

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes

0 Kudos
markdjones82
Expert
Expert

Matt,

ESXI 5 U2 was just released a month or so ago and I would recommend upgrading your host to this version (and if you have Vcenter do the same).  2012 can work on U1 but it is not supported and can act quirky.

U2 fully supports  2012 and I suspect will resolve your issues once you can select the OS operating system as 2012.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsp_esxi50_u2_rel_notes.html

http://www.twitter.com/markdjones82 | http://nutzandbolts.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
nareshsharma
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Have you got solution for this issue. I am also facing same issue. It's Windows Server 2012 on ESXi 5 U 2. When I reboot from RDP, sometime it doesn't reboot cleanly and I have to reset it from Console.

Thanks,

Naresh Sharma

0 Kudos
dspjones
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing this exact same issue on multiple windows 2012 server R2 vm's.  When you select reboot, it logs off and appears to be rebooting but never does.  RDP is not accessible and the only way to get back in is to power off the vm and start it again.  This is a monthly annoyance when we reboot our servers after patching.  Don't know if it is a vmware thing or a windows problem but it is absolutely annoying when you have this occur on 45 windows 2012 servers.

We are using esxi 6 update 1b and latest tools/host patches

0 Kudos
matt19849
Contributor
Contributor

Hey - sadly I still get the issue. I'm running ESXi 5.5 with all the latest patches and all windows updates are done. The latest vmtools installed etc

It is only happening on 50% of our machines now and not all the time which is an improvement but i'm not sure what was done to get that improvement!

0 Kudos