VMware Cloud Community
pjw73nh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Server 2012 VM hangs on "Applying Computer Settings" on reboot

Greetings,.

I am relatively new to VMware but have successfully installed and used it for the last month or so.  I am still learning.

I have an HP Proliant ML350p Gen 8.  I have only one VM on it a server 2101 essentials.  It has been running fine for a couple of months.  for what ever reason, Microsoft decided to give me an update and force a reboot (Upon first install, I had set the windows update to "Download, but let ME install them".  Apparently this got overwritten somehow.  Anyway, upon reboot, it spent 16 minutes at the "Please Wait" screen and then changed to "Applying Computer Settings" where it has been for the last 33 minutes.  My users that are still logged on can still get to the network drives (server based).  But I am afraid if they log off, they won't get back on.  I can ping the server by IP and name, but can't RDP to it.  I am currently connected to it through the VShpere client, and it is still at the  "Applying Computer Settings" screen. 

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to begin with this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pjw73nh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok So after over an hour it brought me to the 2012 login screen. I logged in, and now it is "hung" on "Applying User Settings".  Just providing added info. Still pings, by name and IP, can't RDP.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pjw73nh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UPDATE:

3 hours 16 mins to a desktop that is very unusable.  Can't run task manager, it lets me right click, and select it, but nothing happens.  tried to run eventvwr.msc and services.msc.  Nothing happens.  The prompt just disappears.  there are no network icons in the system try, but my users can still get to their files. Opened control panel, fine, selected networks.  It hung.  So far about 40 mins. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos