VMware Cloud Community
Graphtek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server 2012 P2V Vmware 5.0 fails with BSOD

Has anyone successfully setup Windows Server 2012 with VMware 5.0? I haven't tried from an ISO yet but when i attempted a P2V the server restarts cyclically and then states there is an issue and I should look for more info on error "system thread exception not handled (winhv.sys)" while it collects more info!

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Build 623860 is ESXi 5.0 Update 1, so that's ok. You can find a great version/build overview at http://vsphere-land.com/vinfo/release-build-info

Which roles are installed in the Windows 2012 system (Hyper-V, ...)?

Btw. the converted VM runs on an IDE virtual disk. When converting a physical system you should always set the appropriate controller type ("LSI Logic SAS" in this case) in the Converter wizard.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have at least ESXi 5.0 Update 1 installed on your ESXi host (required for Windows 2012 support)?

Does the P2V'd VM show the correct guest OS in the settings (please post - attach - the VM's .vmx file)?

André

0 Kudos
Graphtek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the ligning response Andre!

I beleive it was installed using the update 1 .ISO, this is a test rig so has just been setup. However the version info states EZSi V 5.0.0, 623860 so possibly not?

.vmx attached

Mark

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Build 623860 is ESXi 5.0 Update 1, so that's ok. You can find a great version/build overview at http://vsphere-land.com/vinfo/release-build-info

Btw. the converted VM runs on an IDE virtual disk. When converting a physical system you should always set the appropriate controller type ("LSI Logic SAS" in this case) in the Converter wizard.

André

0 Kudos
Graphtek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes Hyper-V is installed, along with DNS, DHCP, IIS and RD Server, it does seem a bit daft to have Hyper-V active on a server we were about to ro P2V! probably worth removing the Role and giving ot another go?

Thanks for the info on the logical disk, will that have much impact on the system?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
Graphtek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing the Hyper-v role and changing the controller did the job! Thank you!

Mark

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... will that have much impact on the system?

I can't tell you for sure whether you will have any issues, but the recommended (default) virtual controller type is the one which should work best with the guest and unless something changed there are issues with resizing an IDE virtual disk.

André

PS: Discussion moved from General Issues to VMware ESXi 5