VMware Cloud Community
Rhodan
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2003 - Logging on problem after zero disk space

I've done this many times before, but this is the first time that this has happened ...

A Server 2003 virtual guest ran out of disk space (0 bytes on C drive).

I shut down the guest, expanded C. Attached it to another guest, used diskpart to extend the drive.

Started up the original guest, it boots up to Windows fine. I try logging in, it says logging in for a few seconds, then changes to logging out, and returns me to the login prompt.

Any idea's?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Use vSphere Converter to convert your existing VM and during the conversion task you can expand the hard disk to whatever size you want and once the conversion is complete your c drive will reflect the expanded size. vSphere Converter is a free tool from VMware.

After successfully completing the conversion and testing the VM you can discard you old VM.

I hope this information is useful

Nikhil

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try to boot to safe mode, or logon via RDP yet?

I'd suggest you open the Computer Management (on another system) and remotely connect to the Windows 2003 server to check the Windows event logs and whether all services are running.

André

0 Kudos
Rhodan
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried Safe Mode, the same problem exisits. I have tried multiple user accounts as well, same thing.

I cannot ping the virtual machine or connect to it remotely. I can only access it via the VMware console.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Other than booting from a live CD or attaching the vmdk to a helper VM and running chkdsk and open the event logs from the helper VM, you could - in case the issue is network driver related - try to boot the VM after first removing the virtual network adapter. If the login works check the event logs to find out whether there's something that needs to be fixed, then power off the VM, add a NIC and power it back on.

Not sure whether this helps, but maybe worth a try!?

André

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have also problem with login my host OS. User name and password correct.

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
Rhodan
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried with a live cd, ran chkdsk etc, still no joy.

0 Kudos