VMware Cloud Community
elisconsel
Contributor
Contributor

Serial port on virtual machine

Hi everyone!

I've a PBX that I need to monitor through serial port with a software inside a virtual machine.

The virtual machine is inside a cluster made of 3 ESXi 5 hosts.

When I create the serial port on the virtual machine settings, I choose "Use physical serial port on the host".

Then I physically connect the serial port on the host where the virtual machine runs.

What happens when the virtual machine, due to vMotion or manual host changing, runs on another hosts?

How can I set the VM to connect the serial port on the specified host where I physically connected the serial cable?

Thanks,

Piero

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If there is a serial port connected, you should create a DRS rule in the clusters settings to always keep that VM on the host with the serial port connected. I dont think that vMotion will be able to unplug and replug your serial device between the physical machines Smiley Happy

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi and Welcome.

Check out it http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50/GUID-A779C84D-...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
rjoffe
Contributor
Contributor

I would check out a device like:

http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-DS-Terminal-Server.shtml

Will make your life monitoring a serial device easy.

We use it to log cdr records out of our legacy pbx.

0 Kudos
albert_field
Contributor
Contributor

if your virtual machine can't conntect to  physical serial port directly on host.

i think there is other way instead:

because the virtual machine can connect to physical USB port,

you can find a usb to serial port converter adapter.

so you can visit serial port device via usb on host.

hope it help.

------------------------------------

Awavo serial port monitor

0 Kudos