VMware Cloud Community
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scripted Installation ESXi 4.1 from CDROM

I want to install ESXi 4.1 from CDROM and want to put the config files on the CD. Because some of my customers has no dhcp, no pxe, no web server on the esx Host network.

Is this possible, when yes, how ? Smiley Happy

Thanks

Nautilus

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
6 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Nautilus,

Have a look at this article if it can help.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i go this way (but i modify the ISO file with a different tool), but but get failure messages, that the esx01.cfg file cannot be found.

Kind regards

Nautilus

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Are you able to install your server with the standard ESXi CD? If yes, then you should have a problem with the CD you created.

If no, maybe your CD-ROM is not seen as the "cdrom" device... so you have to find the device name of your CD and play with the "ks=...:" command to point to the right device.

Good luck!

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It may be that ESXi is not able to see the CD-ROM device once the kernel has booted. You could put the script into oem.tgz and then use the file option to specify the script.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@[Franck|~608883]

I'am testing the installation inside vmware workstation and booting from and ISO File. The installation is starting and i can see that files be loaded from CD,

that means CD is working, and yes i can install manually from this CD.

But the Installation cannot find the CFG File.

@Dave

I think a translator Smiley Happy put file oem.tgz ? Option ?? mmmhhhh

Kind regards

Nautilus

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the file script option and specify the path /etc/vmware/weasel/ks.cfg to use the default installation script. This file is placed within the ESXi file system so you don't have to worry about CD- ROM issues.

To replace this file you can use an oem.tgz file. Essentially you'll take your script and put it into a tgz file. See the sample here - http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/customize_oem_tgz.php. You'll have to edit isolinux.cfg on the root of the CD to include the oem.tgz file. You can also include the option to specify the script file.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos