VMware Cloud Community
msc7808
Contributor
Contributor

ScratchConfig Location

I just stubled across an article about adding ESXi box to HA cluster. The article recommended setting the ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation on a VMFS Store. Mine is a ESXi installed on a USB with storage on ISCSI across 3 LUNs on Openfiler.

While reviewing the Storage properties under "Storage" link the location shows up as /vmfs/volumes/4aa7fb84-08....

How can I extract the full name of the VMFS Volume?

Thanks

Manny

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You can hover the mouse cursor over the abbreviated path in the Datastore Details area to see the full path, or you could just the path /vmfs/volumes/MISCFILES

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
msc7808
Contributor
Contributor

Hi...I did what you suggested and rebooted the system. The console is up however I am not able to connect using the VIC. How can I check what is causing it, logs and how can I reset the swap location?

Thanks

Manny

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

To move the scratch location, Open VVcnetre, select the host, Configuration settings - > Advanced - > Scratchconfig -> and edit the value for Scratch Config.ConfiguredScratchlocation

It will tajke a reboot to take effect.

To figure out guid maps to which storage, get an SSH session going on your ESX host (putty etc)

Go "cd /vmfs/volumes"

Then ls -lah

this will show you the guids and volume names mapped.

Create en empty folder on your chosen location and follow the instructions above to direct the swap

(your location should look like '/vmfs/volumes/<guid>/<swap folder name>

remember yoiu'll need a reboot!

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
msc7808
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll try it

0 Kudos