VMware Cloud Community
ncllc
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD write speed

I'm setting up a Dell R730XD with ESXI 7.3.  I'm using a dell quad m.2 PCIE card with 4 m.2 disks (two 2tb Samsung 980 pro and two 4tb crucial).  The drives are visible on the host.  When I provisioned the Samsung m.2 SSD disk using Thick provisioned, eagerly zeroed,  it wrote at 1,788mbs. I configured a new instance with Ubuntu 22.04. I used the following disk controller settings:  NVME controller, SCSI controller, and also passthrough mode.  The max write speed I can get after loading the OS is about 392mbs. The server has 1TB RAM and 2 CPU's for a total of 36 cores / 72 threads (using 8 cores and 256gb ram on the VM). I have a virtual box instance on another machine with the same drives and I get around 1.6gbs write speed. Images are attached. 

Any help / advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You must state which VMware product this relates to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ncllc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

This issue relates to the following product with version numbers:

VMware ESXi™

Client version:

Client build number:

ESXi version:

ESXi build number:

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see a moderator has now moved your post to the correct area for ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos