VMware Cloud Community
AirUni
Contributor
Contributor

Same Static IP Address set on Multiple active Virtual Machines

I am a newbie to networks. Is it possible to set Static IP address on two active servers running on ESXI? I have heard that it can create conflicts. But is there a way to use them simultaneously? If we are using different ports on both active servers can we run without any problems? The static IP is bind with a Public domain.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ImaiSatoshi
Contributor
Contributor

If virtual machines with the same IP address are connected to the same subnet, they will not be able to communicate.
So you need to separate the networks.
If you have an HA cluster configuration and want to allow multiple virtual machines to access with the same IP address, set different IP addresses for the virtual machines and use the virtual IP address function of the HA cluster software. please.

0 Kudos
AirUni
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou for the reply. Can we do somethinf else other than HA clustering? I don't have the license for it

0 Kudos
ImaiSatoshi
Contributor
Contributor

You are in an environment that does not use HA clusters.

Then the answer is simple.

Virtual machines with the same IP address cannot be placed on the same subnet (network segment). You need to separate the virtual switches and connect the virtual machines to separate virtual switches.

If you want to communicate between this virtual machines, you need to use NAT to perform IP address translation using a router or L3 Switch.

0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can not assign the same IP to multiple vms . If I understand correctly you have two vms that service on different ports and you want to use your one public address to access these services. It that is true you need to use different private ip addresses on your vms and use Destination NAT on your router or firewall with your public ip address to make these services available .

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos