VMware Cloud Community
uninspired
Contributor
Contributor

Safe to remove all legacy/phantom hardware (Windows VM) after P2V?

I couldn't find an answer to this (or a discussion about it) anywhere in the forums: Are there any disconnected items that should not be removed from device manager after doing a P2V conversion? I've been trying to delete anything that shows up as disconnected (grayed out) in device manager after doing a P2V, but I wondered if there are any items that should be left alone -- particularly under System Devices and Non-Plug and Play Devices.

On a similar note, are there any items that absolutely should be removed because they adversely affect performance and/or stability if not removed?

Thanks

-Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mclark
Expert
Expert

I've done several P2V's over the years, and I always go back through and remove all greyed out items in Device Manager. I've read in past posts that not doing so can cause performance issues. I've never hit a device that is grayed out that could not be removed, because if it is gray then it is not available, therefore not in use.

0 Kudos
uninspired
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input. The only one I've ever run into that I'm unable to remove is RAS Async Adapter (under Network Adapters). All of the others have been no problem, and it seemed intuitive that they should be removed, but you never know. vSphere has its quirks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos