VMware Cloud Community
Belcher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SUSE Linux Enterprise for VMware - Install source?

Hi. I am trying to find a definitive answer on this.

Assuming all other pre-requisites have been met (active SnS licence, qualifying VMware SKU, etc.), is it mandatory that the SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2 virtual machine(s) is installed from the ISO that deploys the VMware branded version of SLES, or can an existing non-branded ISO be used?

The VMware site does not make it that clear whether or not the branded version must be used. I have sent a question to support, but I am covering all angles as this has not yet been answered.

Thanks

Gary

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vMario156
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don´t know how SuSE / Novell is handling this from a license persepective, but I can tell you that there are different keys.

You can´t activate a VMware SLES version with a "normal" SLES license and not the other way around.

And this means if you only own the VMware SLES licenses you must use the VMware ISO.

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don´t know how SuSE / Novell is handling this from a license persepective, but I can tell you that there are different keys.

You can´t activate a VMware SLES version with a "normal" SLES license and not the other way around.

And this means if you only own the VMware SLES licenses you must use the VMware ISO.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
Belcher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK thanks. So for clarity, if I were to go through the motions of correctly obtaining the registration code for SLES via the VMware web site page specifically for this (so entering my VMware key), and tried to enter those SLES registration details into the VM that was deployed from the standard SLES media, it would fail to register it ??

Thanks Smiley Wink

P.S. Your post seemed to change whilst I was replying. You must have edited like I just did!!  FYI - We do have licences for both. I just need to put the procedures in place to ensure that correct media for VM's or physical is mandated. I need to be able to back this up. Humans can be lazy, and will just want to use the same media for everything. I want to make sure they dont if they should't Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vMario156
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Correct!

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
Belcher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, just one more question for you or anyone else that knows.

How does this licenceing affect the use of the SLES HA Add-on ?

I understand that VMware HA would probably replace it, but what if services already exist that warrant the use of the SUSE HA add-on for other purposes, such as active/active clustering using OCFS2 , or the DRBD replication method?

Thanks

Edit:

Also, does this not conflict with this VMware / Novell agreement - http://www.suse.com/products/server/policy.html

This says that if you have a single SLES licence, you can install as many VM's as you like anyway ??  :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you do not have to use the vmware branded. We have hundreds of sles 9/10/11 vm's in our environment.  We have been running them well before vmware came out with their branded version.

Belcher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies people. I believe I have it straight in my head now.

drivera01 - Just for completeness of this thread, I take it in your scenario of hundreds of SLES VM's in your environment, you have one active SLES licence per host then? So in the "older" or "original" way of licencing on VM hosts ?

Thanks all

0 Kudos
nappyrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if you can 'upgrade' from novell sles to vmware sles?

I have a bunch of sles installs from when we were a novell customer.  My activation keys for novell are no longer valid, but I can't use the vmware keys to re-register them to continue to receive updates.  I always get "Acdtivation code is invalid".  So I assume I need to switch these to vmware suse.

0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bump on this ... Also looking for clarification on changing license code to get updates on a Novell branded SuSE install.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I`m also seeking for clarification.

We have existing SLES installations and we want to use VMware SLES bundled subscription but do not want to reinstall all  systems, especially not if it`s not clear what`s the exact technical difference between vmware sles and novell sles.

Have a look at http://communities.vmware.com/thread/401378

Furthermore, we had a ticket open for this, but the questions were not really answered and i should ask the presales team for the technical difference - but i guess i know why they do not answer, as they are SALES, so how should they know about the technical difference ? Smiley Wink

i think it`s great that vmware comes with sles subscription, but introducing a second "not really clear what you get with it" brand of sles when there already are existing novell sles installations makes me scratch my head and i think it`s easier to spend the money for subscribing standard sles for the existing hosts and ditch vmware sles for making life easier (as we have novell sles on hardware, too)

furthermeore i remember i had a novell support-call months ago and one of the novell guy was discouraged using sles for vmware, but i don`t remember exactly why, it was something about release/patch cycles, iirc.

regards

Roland

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2012 19:30
An: 'presales@vmware.com'
Betreff: exact technical difference between standard SLES and SLES for VMware

Hello,
as VMware Support could not answer my question about the technical difference between normal SLES and SLES for VMWare and i was recommended to ask presales, i`m hereby asking if you could answer this question.

Background:
We already have a couple of standard SLES virtual machines and we need to make a decision if we should switch entirely to VMWare for SLES or not. I see that VMware SLES may behave different from standard SLES, i.e. oracle installation needs quirks etc....

We do not want to have two different brands of SLES in production and we do not want to have 2 different ways of subscription for that. So we want either only standard SLES or SLES for VMware, but switching to the latter is hard to do (because of existing VMs)

Furthermore, we wonder if we could use the VMware for SLES subscription for receiving updates for the normal SLES installations we already have, as we do not want to reinstall all our existing systems because of subscription change. We would continue using standard SLES, but with VMWare SLES subscription. Apparently this is not possible, because SLES for VMWare is a special OEM brand not supported by novell!?

Maybe you can confirm that (or change it), because it sucks to have two SLES11 brands in parallel and it also sucks to reinstall all existing systems because of patch subscription. At least we need to know about the technical difference. I searched the net and asked in vmwar community, but to no avail.

Btw, the SR# was: 12177340605.

0 Kudos
Belcher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anybody know how this licencing applies with multiple vmware host servers? If you have for instance 10 virtual SLES boxes and 3 host servers, and the SLES boxes can failover to any of the hosts, does this mean we need 3 SLES licences as it is per host, or would one SLES lecence for the host that the 10 are running suffice?

Head hurts !!

0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bumping again. Wondering if anyone has completed the migration, manually or taken the time to complete a script.

Novell has put together a script to migrate in the reverse order....

Support | Migrating a SLES-11-SP1-for-VMware system to SLES-11-SP1

Would be nice if VMware did the same ...

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i`m very happy that because of all the vmware sles vs. novell sles hassle i ditched vmware sles (anyway - i´m now also ditching novell sles)

http://www.vmware.com/de/products/sles-for-vmware

VMware is announcing the End of Availability (EoA) of all SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) for VMware offerings on June 25, 2014. As a result, the SLES for VMware offering will be removed from the VMware price list on July 25, 2014. After this date, customers that purchase VMware vSphere Standard, vSphere Enterprise, or vSphere Enterprise+ (either standalone or as part of a suite) will no longer be eligible to a free SLES for VMware offering. - See more at: http://www.vmware.com/de/products/sles-for-vmware#sthash.cvOPLlxR.dpuf

0 Kudos