VMware Cloud Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

STUPID Question...

Apparently I don't know how to read and updated a server that was not on the compatibility list (R620 not R630).  I upgraded to 6.7 and the last supported version was 6.5 U3.   The only issue so far is minor but i would prefer not to keep it this way since VMware will not support it.  Are there any issues with Going back to an older version of ESXi?  I have 2 hosts that need this and if it's a good option then i will do it otherwise i will keep it like it is for a few months until the hardware upgrade.  Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks

P

Thank you, Perry
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Alessandro,

Thank you for the reply.  Much appreciated. 

Thank you, Perry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can roll back. Follow this article to guide you on how to proceed:

How to downgrade or Rollback vSphere 6.7 Installation

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
sanupama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No question is stupid..

Upgrading the ESXi version which is not compatible to ESXi hardware make and model is not recommended and supported by VMware. Host might be functioning currently but there is no confirmation it may not crash. To avoid it, you can roll back ESXi host to previous version.

Please refer below KB article :

VMware Knowledge Base

kb.vmware.com/s/article/1033604

VMware HCL :

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Anupama
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Alessandro,

Thank you for the reply.  Much appreciated. 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can do it by 1. ESXCLI command-line or 2. vCenter Update Manager (VUM) or  3. install locally by CD-ROM / USB-Drive ...

copy source of setup to a specific location in your ESX hosts and run the following command:

esxcli software vib install -d  " /vmfs/volumes/..... (a path to the setup iso)"

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos