VMware Cloud Community
Moussa11
Contributor
Contributor

SSH from Exsi VM Guest

Hi

Have Esxi 6.7 Host running two Guest vm Windows 10. ssh from cmd in win 10 to any server is giving an error Connection refused. ping works fine to these servers. I am also able to connect through ssh from another laptop connected on the network. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

check port22 opened and ssh services running

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Moussa says that SSH works fine from another device so the hosts themselves are running SSH.

The connection is also being refused, so something is getting through the SSH services on the hosts to be refused.

Moussa are you using the ssh-agent to store ssh keys on the Windows 10 guest? If you are, are they out of ate and need renewing?

0 Kudos
Moussa11
Contributor
Contributor

Stephen

The connection to SAP server works fine when attempted through laptop.

Attempts to connect to any ssh server from vm guest fails. This is the first time I attempt to check ssh connection since I setup the system. So no saved keys. 

I found free public ssh server to test: test.rebex.net:22 demo/password .Again works from the laptop from not vm guest.

I did enable ssh client on host machine, and restarted the vm guest

Moussa11_0-1679840399047.png

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,
Have you tried installing Powershell on Windows 10 machine and then trying SSH from Powershell?  

OR

Try installing the PuTTY software on Windows 10 and see if SSH works from there. 

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

I tried SSH from a Windows 10 VM to the host it was running on and it all worked fine. That was using the built in SSH client.

I think I would be verifying the firewall settings for the SSH client application both inbound and outbound.

0 Kudos
Moussa11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Stephen

I will be checking with the network administrator to whether there are any firewalls set for the network. 

0 Kudos