VMware Cloud Community
sfresher
Contributor
Contributor

SSH concurrent session limit in ESXi host?

I am trying to edit the property file that define the max concurrent ssh session on the ESXi host.  But couldn't find it.  Is it defined in anyway?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi uses dropbear as the ssh server and client. As far as I know there is no method available for limiting concurrent connections with dropbear other than changing the source code. The abiltiy exists in the source to limit connections but I would not suggest even considering that route.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

IMHO... consider to disable SSH and use RCLI or PowerCLI instead.

You can simple authorize user with the permission tab.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
sfresher
Contributor
Contributor

If use PowerCLI, does it has a max concurrent session limit?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

What problem are you needing to address? If you used the vMA for management scripts you can limit access to the vMA using the openssh mechanisms in sshd_config but that doesn't limit access to the ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
sfresher
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, my intention is not to limit the concurrent session, but to understand the concurrent capacity.  I am working on some automation that dealing with large amount of ESxi activity, both ssh and PowerCLI, so I am just trying to know if there is any capacity cap on the ESXi.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I should think you could test the ability of ESXi to handle a number of concurrent tasks whether it be vCLI, PowerCLI or SSH. Set up some automated routines to bombard a single unloaded ESXi host. Add some VM loads and test again. The numbere of concurrent vSphere client connections is extremely high if I remember.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi runs out of PTYs at 8 sessions (over SSH).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos