VMware Cloud Community
gepetto12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SSD size mismatch

Hi

I have installed a fresh version of ESXi 8.0.0 on a machine with 4TB SSD.

However, ESXi only shows me 3.51TB. I am wondering if it's a conversion thing (Tb/TB) or a limitation, or just me missing something... 🙂

Thanks a lot for your advice.

gepetto12_1-1680949057063.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> I am wondering if it's a conversion thing (Tb/TB) ...

That's exactly it. 4TB equals about 3.64TiB. Taking the ESXi installation into account, it's 3.64TiB - 128GiB = ~3.51 TiB.

Calculation: 4 * 1000^4 / 1024^4 - 0.128

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> I am wondering if it's a conversion thing (Tb/TB) ...

That's exactly it. 4TB equals about 3.64TiB. Taking the ESXi installation into account, it's 3.64TiB - 128GiB = ~3.51 TiB.

Calculation: 4 * 1000^4 / 1024^4 - 0.128

André

gepetto12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Merci André, cheers

I am glad you put the maths, I had a gut feeling, but could not really figure it out myself.

Does it mean that when I allocate space to my VMs, I better take this into account. E.g. if I want to allocate 2TB, I need to ask ESXi for 1.82TiB?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, you don't have to do any maths with creating your virtual disks. ESXi does not care about those marketing "lies".

In my personal opinion, kB, GB, TB etc. should always represent the real Base-2 sizes, and marketing should use something different for it's Base-10 sizes.

André

0 Kudos
gepetto12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would make things less confusing indeed. 
Thanks

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

you forgot there the swap partition which isn't seen anywhere only over the shell.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos