VMware Cloud Community
mogmios
Contributor
Contributor

SSD drives cause system hang?

We have a couple ESXi 4 systems that have been running on standard internal SATA drives. Recently we switched to iSCSI without problem. One of our virtual machines needs to do certain disk operations that are faster so we put in a couple Consair Nova 64GB SSD drives. Every time the system starts accessing these the VM using them dies and soon the entire ESXi host starts having issues and then hangs. Sometimes I can get into the unsupported console to manually power off the VM using the drives and get things to come back up but sometimes I have to hard reboot the server. Problem happens regardless to if we use both SSD drives or either one individually.

Have put the SSD drives in another computer, stress tested them, checked for errors of various kinds, etc and they come out clean and have no problems.

We're using Supermicro X7DW3 mobos with the matching cases, dual quad-core Xeon CPUs, and 32GB RAM per system. Any idea why the SSD drives won't work and if there is a way to make them work?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Virtuali3ed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ignore this one. I gave you the wrong reply.

0 Kudos
mogmios
Contributor
Contributor

Now I'm getting a 'Lost access to volume ... due to connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in progress and outcome will be reported shortly.' error message. This is a local/internal SSD disk and not iSCSI, fibre channel, etc so the help page it takes me to seems completely useless. On top of that the commands the help page suggests gives me a 'Connection timed out.' error when I try to use it on that disk. Oddly one SSD drive seems to be partly functional, in that it at least shows up, and the other not at all.

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wrote up a very thorough reply to your post but I forgot about the pitiful forum software here. It logged me out while I wrote it, and it lost my entire reply when I posted it.

0 Kudos