VMware Cloud Community
Karl12347
Contributor
Contributor

SQL running on VM and High Memory Usage

Hi Everyone

We have a cluster of 5 ESXi 4.1 hosts, each with 190GB of ram installed

One SQL VM is pinned to a Host in the cluster and currently assigned 128Gb of RAM

Apparently this is running SQL server and has this much memory assigned as it is for our data warehouse and the DBA team want the tables to run direct from memory to increase the speed it produces reports and updated etc.

When I check the OS it shows 128GB and 120GB used because of the SQL memory reservation set.

However when I produce a report from the esxi host using %usage when it only shows that the VM is using 23% of the memory.

When i suggested reducing the amount of RAM allocated they say they can see SQL advising there is 102GB allocated to running tables in memory.

Am i correct in thinking that the table might be getting stored in the swap file rather than the actual esxi host RAM.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karl

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Pagri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karl,

I Know this a very old post, was just wondering if you got to the bottom of this? We are starting to plan a very similar deployment model with SQL etc and the same size of ram, was hoping to avoid these type of issues. Did you have any other issues with this configuration?

Cheers

0 Kudos