VMware Cloud Community
Howarjj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SQL Transaction Log Corruption since update to vSphere 6.0

Ever since we have upgraded to vSphere 6.0, we have been getting corrupted trans log errors while taking transaction log backups of a SQL instance running on a VM. The error message from SQL is: Backup detected log corruption in database Department. Context is FirstSector. LogFile: 2 'F:\Sqldata\Department_log.ldf' I can work around this by setting the SQL DB to Simple Recovery Model and then back to Full and taking a new full backup followed by a trans log backup thereby restarting the chain. This error is happening every night and appears to be kicked off by our nightly VM level backups taken by CommVault which takes a snapshot, backs up the VMDk and then removes the snapshot. However, I can replicate this problem without our backup solution by doing a storage vMotion followed by an in-SQL backup of the transaction logs which will error out with trans log corruption. This was not occurring prior to the upgrade to vSphere 6.0 from 5.5. I have ensured that the VM Tools are up to date as well as the VM Hardware version. Hopefully someone has some insight into what could be going on here as I am stumped and would hate to go backwards to vSphere 5.5.

Relevant VM and vSphere info

VM

Windows 2008 R2

SQL Server 2008 R2 - SP3 (10.50.6220.0)

VM Tools 9536

VM hardware v11

vSphere

C7000 Blade Enclosure with 3 x BL460c Gen8

VMware ESXi, 6.0.0, 2494585 (Custom HP image)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nickirwin99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Get your vSphere 6.0 Servers patched ASAP.

The same thing happened to us, we had several SQL Server Databases that were becoming corrupted.

It's a known issue with vSphere 6.0 that has since been patched (I think it was related to snapshots and CBT).  The latest vSphere 6.0 patch/build is "ESXi, 6.0.0, 2809209"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
nickirwin99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Get your vSphere 6.0 Servers patched ASAP.

The same thing happened to us, we had several SQL Server Databases that were becoming corrupted.

It's a known issue with vSphere 6.0 that has since been patched (I think it was related to snapshots and CBT).  The latest vSphere 6.0 patch/build is "ESXi, 6.0.0, 2809209"

Howarjj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This seems to have fixed the problem. I was originally hesitant to patch it all up in case we had to roll back. Thank you!

0 Kudos
rajeshkannank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

This post helped me to fix the same issue in our environment. However, VMWare team did not find and helped.

Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
LDHurst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We moved our SQL Server 2008 R2 to a new VM 6.0 last week, got this same issue Tues. & Thurs. morning this week.  Tlog backups occur every 30 min from 7am-7pm, full backup at 8pm.  When this error occurs it's on the 7am tlog backup.  What version did you patch it to?  Thanks!

0 Kudos