VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL Server and Virtualisation?

We have several vsphere hosts and near 15 VM's connected to a EVA 6100.

We have not yet virtualised our main SQL Server. Database size is near 30GB, and this is a very important server to the business.

I have had an objection put forward from senior managment saying SQL server should not be virtualised, and in there experiences with previous working environments it does not work and perform well?

Now a capacity planner report exists, and it says the SQL server can be virtualised..

How do i overcome this objection?

Are there any white papers in regards to SQL and virtualision...? or anything else that caould help..

0 Kudos
9 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

take a look at

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/SQLServerWorkloads.pdf

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/solutions/sql_server_virtual_bp.pdf

In our enviroment 4 ESX host with iSCSI attached with roud about 250 Processes on SQL was not successfull.

We must go back to physical enviroment.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you thought about an EVA? as ISCSI does perform poorley...

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you thought about an EVA? as ISCSI does perform poorley...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think an EVA is much better, but it alway depends on your applicytions and your enviroment you are running.

I would make a test Installation and let some user work on it and see how the Performance is.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I dont have any white paper but managed to get numbers of my customer SQL server run for a year edi without problem within EVA environment and it's for banking and hospitality use..However, I dont have any doubt on SQL but my big worry is on the EVA itself. Twice it's broke up and caused 1-2 days downtime due to firmware upgrade.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about if i were to use a RDM for the SQL server?

That would eliminate the performance issue...No?

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The performance difference between vmfs and rdm are very small. Whether it's possible depends entirely on the workload you're trying to virtualize. SQL Server loves memory and IOPS (and sometimes CPU). You also need to take into account the licensing part, some editions can be costly combined with vmotion and drs.

You need to dig into how much load on disk, memory and cpu your current setup has. Also keep in mind that even though virtualization has some performance costs, it also brings some new possibilities like snapshots before updates, drs, ha, fault tolerance, online addition of cpu and memory (depending on host and guest os versions)

Do everything you would it the physical world, like 64kb block size, aligned partitions, locked memory pages (sql 2008), separate os, swap, master, tempdb, data and logs. Create a tempdb logfil per core (all of equal size).

I'm running quite a few SQL Servers in our virtual infrastructure. They are not recordbreakers, but they do their job within parameters. I've also got a physical SQL cluster and because I needed to give it 64gb memory so it was economical unwise to make it virtual.

If it's important, take a look into database mirroring (SQL Server feature) to increase your availability freely (the standby server is free as long it's only used for that purpose)

0 Kudos
woco_mike
Contributor
Contributor

It's not so much "virtualization" or "VMware" that would cause performance issues, it's more dependent on the hardware you're putting behind it. If you're moving the SQL server from a dedicated box with 32GB of RAM and a direct connection to a fiber SAN, to a smaller box juggling more machines, then you'll come out behind.

Just make sure that you can allocate enough memory, CPU, and storage bandwidth to the VM, and you'll be fine.

We run a 30GB SQL DB that gets hit fairly hard, on VMware, and performance is fine.

It's all about how you scale the hardware.

Oh, and it really won't make a noticiable difference if you use RDM's or VMDK's.

0 Kudos