VMware Cloud Community
amackan
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Server 2008 Clustering

Hi, i am hoping that some can clarify an issue.

We currently run SQL server 2008 in an Active- Active configurtaion on ESX 4.0. This is managed by our hosting provider.

They have recenly opended up a new DC which is running ESX 4.1 and i have been advised that the RDM discks are no longer supported, and hence i cannot run a SQL server in a cluster!

Can anyone advise on this, i fnd it hard to beleive that fundamental services have been droped by VMWare. Is there any alternatives except staying on the platform on which we are currently on.

many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

yes it is supported even for vsphere 4.1 have a look here: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004617

0 Kudos
amackan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the replay, just went back to my provider for clarification, and they are saying they are using vcloud 4.1???? whats the difference between this and ESXi 4.1?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

there is only vcloud director and vsphere 4.1; vcloud director seats on top of vsphere 4.1 to provide catalog system, iaas, portal and etc. you would not be able to create RDM on vcloud director, but then if the VM is created on vsphere and not vcloud director then you will be able to have RDMs ..

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

IMHO, I'd get another provider.

0 Kudos