VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

SQL 2008 Performance on ESX

So I keep asking for information regarding performance of SQL on a VM, and it appears SQL 2008 is GREAT! So I was wrong. ESX 4.0 VM performance is VERY close in comparison to Physical Servers.

I am not above reproach, and I will admit when I am wrong, so I rescend my earlier comments about SQL on ESX 4.0, it would appear this is the best combination price performance and uptime.

I won't split hairs, and Physical servers STILL are a bit better, but even I have to note the difference is neglible, even though I did the research MYSELF and no one else proved me wrong with numbers.. here they are.

http://www.virtualization.info/2009/07/benchmark-sql-server-2008-performance.html

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Who are you and what have you done with RParker? Smiley Wink

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> Who are you and what have you done with RParker?

That was version 1.0, version 2.1 is new and improved.. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

now if Microsoft hasn't had screwed with the licensing to make it a combination of ALL physical CPU's and cores in the cluster for you to be legally licensed.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

now if Microsoft hasn't had screwed with the licensing to make it a combination of ALL physical CPU'

Still doesn't matter, remember Microsoft has a Virtual platform. They screw their own customers, they screw EVERYBODY, the license doesn't work that way. It's licensed by SOCKET.

Doesn't matter how many VM's you have, each one is licenses by the number of SOCKETS on the host.

There is no consideration for clusters, it's PER host...Where the SQL VM lives, not potentially ALL hosts it can touch.

We called MS Sales, that's what they told us.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Interesting...I have a SQL 2008 licensing document at the office I think that has a calculation you needed to use in a virtual environment which would use the physical and cores in the cluster devided by the CPU's used to come up with a number of processor licenses you needed to but in oder to have a VM you could use with HA/DRS...

Their licensing document on the site is much more simplified...to the point of stating that oracle and IBM license by cores,etc but Microsoft doesn't...

Must have been too much backlash from their bigger clients and they changed it.

0 Kudos
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's per host. However, you need HA to protect your hosts and VMs. When you put a SQL VM on a ESX cluster. Microsoft want you to license all sockets on that cluster. For a big shop, it can set up a cluster just for SQL VMs. However, in a big shop, they already have the site license. They really don't need to worry about licnese. For a small shop, you can't afford to have a dedeicate cluster just for SQL VMs. Anyway, Microsoft still $crews you.

0 Kudos
kcucadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's per host. However, you need HA to protect your hosts and VMs. When you put a SQL VM on a ESX cluster. Microsoft want you to license all sockets on that cluster. For a big shop, it can set up a cluster just for SQL VMs. However, in a big shop, they already have the site license. They really don't need to worry about licnese. For a small shop, you can't afford to have a dedeicate cluster just for SQL VMs. Anyway, Microsoft still $crews you.

Not to nit pick here, but VMWare Screws you too when it comes to licensing. Smiley Happy i'm just saying.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

</div>

Not to nit pick here, but VMWare Screws you too when it comes to licensing. Smiley Happy i'm just saying.

</div>ALL software vendors/manufactures screw the users when it comes to licensing. Adobe is no different/better than Microsoft or VMware (they might even be worse)... The better companies just use lube while they're screwing you, so it doesn't hurt so much...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.