VMware Cloud Community
corvus71
Contributor
Contributor

SOLVED! esxi 7u2 management interface needs restart for accepting credentials

I have a home lab setup with esxi ESXi-7.0U2a-17867351-standard (VMware, Inc.)
It is the free licensed trial version.

Recently I changed the password and since that time each time I want to login via the esxi web console it says the password is wrong.
I have to physically login to the server console, restart the management interface and then I can login again via the web interface.

This is highly inconvenient.
How can I debug to find the root cause of the web access going down?
I CAN access the web interface, it just tells me I have the wrong credentials

When restarting the management interface I can tick: save diagnostics information. I have no idea WHERE this information is saved.

I found a workaround for now: Once I logged in I made a new admin user. I can always enter the web management screen with this user.

While the other user still only works when I restart the management interface ????

Found even more strange behaviour.

When I log in as the new administrator (this keeps working) and I change the password of the original root administrator, by reentering the exaxt same password, I can login as root again. Only to find out after a few hours that is does no longer work.

I get :

corvus71_0-1638029882956.png

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Going through all logfiles starting at the top...luckily the second one (vobd.log) gave the answer as it was flooded with the following message.

corvus71_0-1638030567630.png

I had a Qnap Hyperdata protector running to backup the virtual images. It logs in the root account of which I changed the password.

I did not change it in QNAP so the appears to be a good security feature....locking myself out for 15 minutes each time the QNAP tries to login. 

I am so glad I figured this out. It did not feel save to run a server in which I could not login 🙂

This also fully explains why I could login with a second account which was never blocked.

I thought I;d write the outcome so people could benefit from it.

regards,

Corvus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I've seen similar behaviour when you try to access the server via a stale session.

You should check your link/bookmark, it should look like https://<FQDN/IP>/ui/ so no former session will be used.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
corvus71
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion however that is not the problem.

I checked in a chrome incognito session...this did not work.

Tried from another PC....also did not work.

regards,

Corvus

0 Kudos