VMware Cloud Community
damemate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SNMPd stops on ESXi 6.5

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with ESXi 6.5 (4564106) - I'm polling the server via SNMP v1 - after a day or two, the SNMP process stops.

Syslog reads "Unknown: out of memory [67938]"

I've tested the default ISO from VMware and also Dell's custom image.

Server is a Dell R720xd with latest firmware updates. It has 384GB of RAM, and at this time, only 1 VM running with 16GB of RAM allocated.

I've read that using system resources one can increase the snmpd RAM reservation, but that has disappeared on v6 so I can't test that. I have also not found any commands to do so.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachidG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
westford02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here.  Dell or Cisco servers.  After a week or 2, snmpd quits even though it shows running.  The hosts/vcenter show it as running.  A simple restart kicks it in to working again but is just a temporary fix. 

0 Kudos
khobbits
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been seeing the same, I upgraded 6 servers to 6.5.

A day later at hour intervals, 3 of the servers snmp just stopped responding.

Restarting the machines made it come back, this time for 3 days, and 2 of the servers stopped replying, but the 3rd still going.

I'm using the Dell Vmware 6.5 esxi image.

0 Kudos
damemate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

After paying for support to VMware, they advised that this is a known error. There is a memory leak for SNMP, which they will solve in the next update.

Why nobody from VMware's tech support replied to this via here, is unknown. Of course they charged for support, even though they ack that the error is from their release.

I've made a workaround via a cron job that restarts the snmpd service every 8 hours by now, and its 'working'.

I've also installed 6.0 and this didn't show any issues with snmpd.

First image was a clean downloaded version via VMware, and the last 2 tested were customs from Dell (6.0 and 6.5).

Cheers

0 Kudos
RachidG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it looks like the issue is fixed in one of the patches. See

VMware ESXi 6.5, Patch ESXi-6.5.0-20170304001-standard (2148987) | VMware KB

0 Kudos