VMware Cloud Community
ucm
Contributor
Contributor

SNMP polling for HW RAID disk status

I've installed the latest LSI CIM provider.
Rebooted the host.
I can see HW RAID disk status in Monitor -> Hardware -> Status.
When I snmpwalk the host, I cannot find any relevant OID representing HW RAID disk status.
Am I missing something or are mine expectations wrong?

ESXi 6.7

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Spoiler
Hi,

Supposing you've installed the appropriate mib, you need to check the vendor specific oid for your adapter.

One source is mibdepot.com > klick vendors, and traverse to your physical raid adapter. 
As example, the rebuildProgress flag in the Dell Raid-Adapter-mib is 1.3.6.1.4.1.3582.1.1.3.1.12.

You might also check the mib docs, and those of your cim provider in correlation to the hardware & ESXi release supported, see here.

Hope this helps. Daniel
0 Kudos
ucm
Contributor
Contributor

Problem is that ESXi does not output LSI OIDs at all when using snmpwalk.

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

if snmpwalk MIB search path is not found, you can specifiy it using -M. The default MIB search path may vary. You must install the VMware MIB files on your system where snmpwalk resides. 

snmpwalk
MIB search path: /root/.snmp/mibs:/usr/share/snmp/mibs

a LSI Logic MegaRaid adapter physical drive entry its rebuildprogress value as example should be in oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3582.1.1.3.1.11.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ucm
Contributor
Contributor

I am telling you it does not output LSI subtree.
When I specify subtree 1.3.6.1.4.1 only vmware (6876) is returned.

snmpwalk ip_address_ofesxi 1.3.6.1.4.1.3852

iso.3.6.1.4.1.3852 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID.

ucm_0-1613391540214.png

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Didn't find an oid beginning with 1.3.6.1.4.1.1000. I suggest to look on the physical card which vendor brand & chip it is.

According to the Compatibility list and your screenshot, the detected LSI MR3 adapter certainly uses the inbox native driver lsi_mr3 version 7.708.07.00-2vmw, without any firmware recommendation like the former ones. On the Broadcom website the recommended driver for ESXi 6.7 is 7.712.15.00. But, without a rebrand there are no oids with .1000.

If it would be a rebranded Dell Megaraid adapter as example, well, yes, go with the .3582 subtree.

0 Kudos
ucm
Contributor
Contributor

It is not supported this way.

SNMP support for MegaRAID (broadcom.com)

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi @ucm,

Is it a Avago SAS 9341-4i adapter, right or wrong? If LSI SMI-S CIM Provider is installed, you might use Host storage status alarm in vSphere client. You could send an email in case of an alarm event.

In addition if StorCLI is installed, you get more granular information eg. in case of a rebuild in progress.

At least some web references:

Hope this helps. Daniel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos