VMware Cloud Community
zamrota
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SNMP Configuration

Hello All,

We have Esxi 5.1 environment in our organisation, we need to enable SNMP on all the hosts. I have all the information of SNMP like, string, IP add and port.

But I am not sure how to enable the SNMP on host.

Need some help on configuring SNMP on host, as I am doing it for first time

Thanks All.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can check the snmp status using "esxcli system snmp get".

To enable snmp use the following command :

"esxcli system snmp set -e true"

Other parameters can be configured with the following options :

/var/log # esxcli system snmp set --help

Usage: esxcli system snmp set [cmd options]

Description:

set                   This command allows the user to set up ESX SNMP agent.

Cmd options:

-a|--authentication=<str>

Set default authentication protocol. Values: none, MD5, SHA1

-c|--communities=<str>

Set up to ten communities each no more than 64 characters. Format is: community1[,community2,...] (this overwrites previous

settings)

-e|--enable           Start or stop SNMP service. Values: [yes|no, true|false, 0|1]

-E|--engineid=<str>   Set SNMPv3 engine id. Must be at least 5 to 32 hexadecimal characters. 0x is stripped if found as well as colons (:)

-y|--hwsrc=<str>      Where to source hardware events from IPMI sensors or CIM Indications. One of: indications|sensors

-l|--loglevel=<str>   System Agent syslog logging level: debug|info|warning|error

-n|--notraps=<str>    Comma separated Usage: esxcli system snmp set [cmd options]

Please let me know if it helps.

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can check the snmp status using "esxcli system snmp get".

To enable snmp use the following command :

"esxcli system snmp set -e true"

Other parameters can be configured with the following options :

/var/log # esxcli system snmp set --help

Usage: esxcli system snmp set [cmd options]

Description:

set                   This command allows the user to set up ESX SNMP agent.

Cmd options:

-a|--authentication=<str>

Set default authentication protocol. Values: none, MD5, SHA1

-c|--communities=<str>

Set up to ten communities each no more than 64 characters. Format is: community1[,community2,...] (this overwrites previous

settings)

-e|--enable           Start or stop SNMP service. Values: [yes|no, true|false, 0|1]

-E|--engineid=<str>   Set SNMPv3 engine id. Must be at least 5 to 32 hexadecimal characters. 0x is stripped if found as well as colons (:)

-y|--hwsrc=<str>      Where to source hardware events from IPMI sensors or CIM Indications. One of: indications|sensors

-l|--loglevel=<str>   System Agent syslog logging level: debug|info|warning|error

-n|--notraps=<str>    Comma separated Usage: esxcli system snmp set [cmd options]

Please let me know if it helps.

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
0 Kudos
zamrota
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

But when I have logged in via "Putty" and tried to run the above command.. it didn't work

Do I have to use any other tool to run the above command?

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what is the ESXi version? Enabling snmp using esxcli is supported from ESXi 5.1.

0 Kudos
zamrota
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, Its 5.1. If possible do u have the steps

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please refer to this link for the detailed steps : http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/11/configuring-snmp-v1v2cv3-using-esxcli-5-1.html

If you are getting any error, please paste the error message.

zamrota
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. It was very helpful

0 Kudos