VMware Cloud Community
Elgreco
Contributor
Contributor

SLES 10 Sp3 VMware tools error on install

I installed SUSE enterprise server 10 SP3 on a Esx 4 server

The problem starts with the installation of vmware tools. "VmwareTools-4.0.0-193498.tar.gz"

The tools wont start: Unable to start services for vmware tools

Paravirtual ISCSI module: Failed

Guest vmxnet fast network device: Failed.

I fixed the guest vmxent ERROR by changing the NIC mode.

any hint? i cant be the only one with the same problem..

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Elgreco
Contributor
Contributor

Since the support on the community is so poor..i will reply to myself

YES the SLES10 sp3 has problems with vmware tools with Vsphere 4.0

Now what i did was:

i added to YAST Installation source URL: http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/4.0latest/sles10/i586

and installed the tools from there.

and it works....

I believe vmware should add also OpenSuse precompied binaries....

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Since the support on the community is so poor..i will reply to myself

Huh, you do not have much time, haven't you? There's no need to be upset. The guys looking after the problems of people they even don't know, using their free time, really do a good job and the best they can. And they really help a lot of people here, every day. If you didn't get an answer in the time frame you set for yourself that means that the right guy hasn't come across your question, yet. Maybe because he took care about his family or job or he was on vacation or whatever.

Regarding your issue:

Have you tried to compile the tools in your guest, already?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Elgreco
Contributor
Contributor

hey there

i didnt meant to be "the bad guy" and i apologize if it sounded like that...

Yes i did compile the tools but the tools dont load with the SCSI Error.

and yes..when you run out of google and forum posts on the net...when you are in hurry...the pressure makes you do strange things.

so far...only the OSPs tools helped

it works..

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

O.K., then I take this as an "there's no need to take care about that, anymore".

Otherwise just post again.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
marker7
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone else has run into this and found a solution, I'd love to hear about it. The OSPs from vmware won't work at all on SLES 10 SP3 x86_64, I have 14 vanilla installations that have just been done and are fully updated and have no other software installed on them at all; installing from the vmware repository results in a "transaction failure" error about 3/4 of the way through, and you get to fight with the 'nox' mouse and display driver rpms to get them to uninstall because the preuninst script exits 1.

Before I tried the OSP installation, I did try to build the tools. The tools run through the installation in what seems to be an OK fashion, all of the modules compile and I get the message that it "installed into the running kernel perfectly", but at the end of the installation, the Paravirtual SCSI module throws a failure and installation aborts (all modules build perfectly and all say they load into the kernel, this failure is at the point where it appears to be loading the modules/starting the vmware-tools services).

So, I'm stuck. OSP doesn't work on a totally out-of-the-box SLES 10 SP3 installation, and building them myself doesn't work either. Has anyone else hit this roadblock?

If it helps to know, these still have the E1000 driver and the LSI SCSI controller (they're pretty much default VMs created on ESXi 4.0).

0 Kudos
lanalyzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please review the following KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014739

Thanks,

JesusM

0 Kudos
Elgreco
Contributor
Contributor

You can fix the e1000 error on vmware tools loading buy changing the ethernet mode.

the SCSI paravirtialization, can't be fixed.

the OSP installation was working for me, since is not ESX host related. but i didnt try it on a 64bit sistem

0 Kudos
jeantet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The solution is to download SLES10 specific VMware Tools package from VMW and configuring it.

The default Linux tools don't work in this case. This alternate install is more involved but should solve your problems.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/osp_install_guide.pdf

Good luck!

0 Kudos