Contributor
Jump to solution

SCSI Issues - Dell R430

Hi,

The configuration is :

- VMware 5.5, in waiting for a 6.5 upgrade to come

- Physical Host : Dell R430

- Dell MD4320 storage bay with a SAS direct attachment

After a reboot the scsi storage adapter (Dell 12G SAS HBA) set itself in a "Block SCSI" mode and I am now unable to see the disks from the storage bay.

When I look for the controller in cli mode I can see it with the good driver :

~ # esxcfg-scsidevs -a

vmhba38 ahci              link-n/a  sata.vmhba38                            (0:0:31.2) Intel Corporation Wellsburg AHCI Controller

vmhba39 ahci              link-n/a  sata.vmhba39                            (0:0:31.2) Intel Corporation Wellsburg AHCI Controller

vmhba0  lsi_mr3           link-n/a  pscsi.vmhba0                            (0:1:0.0) LSI MegaRAID SAS Invader Controller

vmhba1  ahci              link-n/a  sata.vmhba1                             (0:0:17.4) Intel Corporation Wellsburg AHCI Controller

vmhba2  ahci              link-n/a  sata.vmhba2                             (0:0:31.2) Intel Corporation Wellsburg AHCI Controller

vmhba3  lsi_msgpt3        link-n/a  sas.5d0946600d7df300                    (0:5:0.0) Avago (LSI Logic) Dell 12Gbps SAS HBA external

I did compare with our other server and the link is also at "Link N/A" so it didn't seem bad.

But when I launch esxcli storage nmp device list

I can't see the device, just CD, iscsi and local disks.

The claimrules seems the same as the other server :

~ # esxcli storage core claimrule list

Rule Class   Rule  Class    Type       Plugin     Matches

----------  -----  -------  ---------  ---------  ---------------------------------

MP              0  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=usb

MP              1  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=sata

MP              2  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=ide

MP              3  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=block

MP              4  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=unknown

MP            101  runtime  vendor     MASK_PATH  vendor=DELL model=Universal Xport

MP            101  file     vendor     MASK_PATH  vendor=DELL model=Universal Xport

MP          65535  runtime  vendor     NMP        vendor=* model=*

So I was wondering if it's possible to remove the storage adapter and re-install it or change the type to "SCSI" ?

I didn't find anything about it...

Any help would be nice.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IVS_FCO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After upgrading, Bios, iDrac, Firmware and Drivers, a reboot of the Storage solve the issue...

A shame that the storage didn't say anything about any error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IVS_FCO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dive a little more and it seems that there is an error with the discovery.

I remove the VIB then re-install it and it's the same but in the logs after a refresh I can see that there is a time out :

ScsiPath: 3642: Command 0x12 (cmdSN 0x0, World 0) to path vmhba3:C0:T2:L0 timed out: expiry time occurs 625ms in the past

0 Kudos
IVS_FCO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After upgrading, Bios, iDrac, Firmware and Drivers, a reboot of the Storage solve the issue...

A shame that the storage didn't say anything about any error.

0 Kudos