VMware Cloud Community
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SCSI Error

I'm building a VM and using the Paravirtual SCSI controller for my additional disks and I keep getting this error after I restart the server. I configured the system using all LSI Logic SAS and did not recieve this error, so I believe it has something to do with the Parvirtual driver.

Anyone seen this before?

Driver SCSI returned invalid ID for a child device (000000).

My Configuration:

ESX4.0 Update1

Windows 2008R2 Standard

Disk 1- LSI Logic SAS

Disk 2 - Paravirtual

Disk 3- Paravirtual

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Do you have the latest VMware Tools installed in this 2008 R2 guest?  What does Device Manager show for the Storage Controllers, and does it show any errors there?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lastest for my environment of esx4 update 1. There is no problems noted in device manager either.

0 Kudos
RumataRus
Commander
Commander

Hi!

I have the same problem in ESXi 4.1 Update1. Guest is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter.

Latest VMware Tools are installed.

There are 3 disks. If any of them has PVSCSI controller then the error appears.

If I change controler to LSI Logic SAS then the error disappears.

0 Kudos
khas
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem too.

Host: ESXi 4.1 Update1 (build 348481).

Guest: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter.

Latest VMware Tools are installed.

0 Kudos
fxpro
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem as well but the strange thing is that it does not happen with all my Win2008R2 VMs.

I run ESX 4.1 U1 with lots of Win2008R2 VMs and most of them using PVSCSI driver.

Also after that error the server crashes.

Any one found a fix for this other than changing the Driver to LSI SAS?

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Any Fix for it ?

0 Kudos
tbiles
Contributor
Contributor

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2685788

I'm seeing this on VSphere 5 too.  According to the Microsoft article, it can be ignored.  Good answer.  😕

0 Kudos