VMware Cloud Community
squallwesker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SCSI Controller won't go away!!!

Hi there,

I have a vm (Solaris 10 32-bit) that I have recently removed the last hard disk on the second SCSI controller (LSI LogicParallel) but it won't disappear. There is nothing else connected to this controller. vMotion and storage vMotion of the vm did not clear it. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I tested this with ESXi 5.5 and the VM powered off. Anyway, please find the attached modified .vmx file, which you may use to replace the current one. Do this with the VM powered off, and don't forget to reload the VM after replacing the .vmx file (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026043)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does the VM have active snasphots?

How was the HDD removed, i.e. was it just removed from the VM, or deleted from disk?

Please attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post?

André

0 Kudos
squallwesker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey a.p.

No snapshots. The disk was removed but not deleted. It was a disk that was being shared between 2 vm's using a Physical shared Scsi Bus. The disk was removed but not deleted from both machines. The controllers were set to None for sharing. That took care of it for one vm but not the other. vmx file attached. Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I cannot tell you why this happened. However, to get rid of the two unused controllers, I added an additional small/thin virtual disk to scsi2:0 and then deleted it again, selecting "Remove from virtual machine and delete files from disk". This cleaned up the VM's configuration and removed not only scsi2, but also scsi1.

After I did this I compared the .vmx files, and the only changes are the deleted entries for the two SCSI controllers, nothing else changed.

André

0 Kudos
squallwesker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked. Really at a loss here.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I tested this with ESXi 5.5 and the VM powered off. Anyway, please find the attached modified .vmx file, which you may use to replace the current one. Do this with the VM powered off, and don't forget to reload the VM after replacing the .vmx file (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026043)

André

0 Kudos
squallwesker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. We ended up backup and then editing the vmx file on the vm.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ups. Just realized I forgot to attach the modified .vmx file to my previous post. Sorry for that Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
squallwesker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No problem. I went ahead and marked your response as the correct answer. Thanks!

0 Kudos