ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  SCSI Bus sharing set to physical mode.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 03:17 PM

Hello,

I am trying to have two virtual machines svr-aa1 and svr-aa2 look at one disk (drive D) concurrently for high availablity.

So, I got about making sure that the disk is inflated, and that SCSI Bus Sharing mode is set to Physical.

I do not have any errors starting up the machine.

But,

When I have both of the virtual machines up and running, the sharing of disk betwneen two servers means that two both servers will have the same content on that drive D.

So If I use svr-aa1 to add things on drive D, it should appear on svr-aa2 automatically.

Is that right ?

if so,

it is not happening.

When I add things to svr-aa1 drive D, nothing appears on svr-aa2 drive D (which is the same exact VMDK).

and visa versa...

Am i misunderstanding something ? or am i just missing something ?

Thank you

Ahmed

• 2.  RE: SCSI Bus sharing set to physical mode.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 04:33 PM

Since you mentioned D drive I'm going to assume that you are running a Windows server OS. In that case NTFS does not work that way, A database is maintained for that partition. The Drive sharing between two servers is meant for Windows Cluster Services (MSCS) you will not be able to see it on both servers at the same time it should be configured as Active / Passive.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

• 3.  RE: SCSI Bus sharing set to physical mode.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 09:28 PM

Even though the disk is accessible to both systems, that doesn't mean the file system on that disk supports concurrent access by multiple servers. In the case of NTFS, there is no way of which I am aware that you can have two Windows VM sharing a disk in this manner without using some form of clustering.

Virtualization can fix some things, but not everything...

--

Scott Lowe

http://blog.scottlowe.org