VMware Cloud Community
EricBMMT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SCP to copy VM's for backup is slow. Anything Faster?

I have a simple ESXi setup with a NAS that I use to backup my VM's to using GhettoVCB. The NAS is setup as a Datastore on my host and the VM's backup to it just fine. However when I connect and try to copy the backups through SCP they take forever to copy just a simple VM that is only 2gb in size. Is there a faster way?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, not to use SCP as it isn't aware of the virtual disk structure. I take it you're using ESXi free edition here? May need to use vmkfstools instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, not to use SCP as it isn't aware of the virtual disk structure. I take it you're using ESXi free edition here? May need to use vmkfstools instead.

0 Kudos
EricBMMT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, Free version of ESXi. Just trying to get the VM's backed up offsite. I will look into the vmkfstools. Thanks.

0 Kudos
psibaja
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello All,

To complement daphnissov's answer you could take a look at this KB which explains how to clone a vmdk using vmkfstools. You will have to use vmkfstools with -i option to clone the desired vmdk for your backup from the original datastore to the datastore you are using for backups.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1028042

A command like this would help, just replace the datastore name, VM folder name and vmdk names:

vmkfstools -i "/vmfs/volumes/Datastore/examplevm/examplevm.vmdk" "/vmfs/volumes/Datastore 2/newexamplevm/newexamplevm.vmdk"

Please make sure you read it all very carefully first, as there are some key points and warnings but the final command should be very simple as above.

Regards.

0 Kudos