VMware Cloud Community
jbriskin
Contributor
Contributor

SATA Only - no reboot

HEre is the situation - I install EXSi 4 up 1 using a USB drive. During the install it asks to what disk I want to do the install. I can see all of my SATA 2 disks, there are 4 and they are the only drives on the system. The system has an onboard nvidia RAID but I have the RAID disabled so the drives "pass through" as IDE.

I select the first disk as the install location and all goes well. I even get to go in and set a password after the install completes. Then, if I do a shutdown \[F12\] the server will not come back up. It seems to hang on the boot drive. I moved the USB drive down in priority for boot order to just below the disk that received the install and it hangs. If i move the usb back to first loader position I can reinstall but Default and Book local disk both fail.

But the install reboots after it completes... and everything comes up fine - it is after controlled shutdown or restart that the HD is no longer bootable...

Ideas? I read somewhere else that maybe I just need to wait a really long time - like 30 minutes.... ? I'll go try that after this install...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you remove the USB drive does it boot? What hardware are you using?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

I had that happen to me when the BIOS was not correctly configured - I had the boot order correctly configured but not the drive that I wanted to boot from - in my BIOS both those settings were independant of each other.

0 Kudos