VMware Cloud Community
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SAN boot LUN migration

Hi,

In my environment legacy ESX5.5 and 6.0 are booting thru VNX SAN..
customer want to change underlying storage infrastructure to Unity.

need expert advice , how to migrate SAN Boot LUNs to New LUNs with least change/efforts.

Please let me know if more information is require...

regards

Moderator edit by wila: Moved post from ESXi-Arm Fling discussions to ESXi discussions

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

This is a very interesting case.

I am going to assume certain things:

The old Storage is an EMC VNX Storage, the new storage is a DELL EMC Unify Storage, both are connected in a SAN (Fiber Channel) with the ESXi Hosts.

There is a vcenter Server that manages ESXi hosts with versions 5.5 and 6.0.

Depending on the type of licenses you have, you could perform a storage vmotion of the VMs from the old Storage to the new one. You should check with your EMC vendor if you have an internal tool in your Storage to migrate the boot luns of each of the ESXi Hosts. You must define the ESXi hosts with their HBAs on the new Storage. If this is achieved, each HBA of each Host will have to be configured to boot from its own boot lun in the new Stroage. These jobs are going to require some offline time.

Another option: If your ESXi Server has an internal USB port this can be used to install the ESXi on a 2GB, 4GB or 8GB USB key, on each server. Of course, each ESXi Host would have to be configured again. In this option we avoid all the jobs of the Storages and their Boot from SAN.

These are just some ideas that can be combined with others

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we are planning SAN copy to New LUN and configure it in ESXi boot...

if not successful , we will reconfigure/reinstall SAN Boot device from scratch...

regards

0 Kudos
JackDan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jimmy, did you manage to successfully migrate the boot luns over? Care to share some steps?

Im facing a similar situation and appreciate any tips migrating boot luns from old to new storage.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I copied the data of Boot LUN to other 32gb LUN (32 GB recommended for ESXi 7) using SAN Copy and map it with WWPN of ESXi. allocate LUN ID to zero.
It went successful 🙂

regards

regards

0 Kudos