VMware Cloud Community
aronillo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SAN Best Practices for VSphere

Hi everyone!

I'm new on VSphere and newer on SAN, but I want to do all things well from beginning. Where I can find a best practice document about SAN and VSphere? I'm looking for some recommendations on design and deploy for SAN. How much size for VMFS? How many VMs are recommended?

I hope that some of you can help me. Thanks for take your time on read this Smiley Wink

Bye.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What types of SAN are you using FC/iSCSI/NFS? Neither ways, you should architect your storage to be redundant using multiple storage processors connected to multiple switches/multiple HBA guests. For the LUN size, its between 400-600GB would be good and do not put too much guests on a single LUN to prevent from iSCSI reservation conflict and tend to be I/O bound and result in "thrashing". Standard rule of thumb is 4-6 VMs per core and it depends on types of applications loaded. Always start with 1 vCPU and 1024MB ram to start with and increase if needed. Not recommended to use extents within datastore so plan accordingly. If you need to use RDM for sql, exchange or file server purposes plan accordingly since it has limitations on which mode to use. I would read best practices from VMware guides and use your vendors best practices as well. Good luck in your design!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jintoa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

goto http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/

Signature: If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!

Signature: Disclaimer: My postings are my own and don’t necessarily represent VMware’s positions, strategies or opinions. If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also check out the SAN Configuration Guides on the documentation page - http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vs_pages/vsp_pubs_esx40_vc40.html

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What types of SAN are you using FC/iSCSI/NFS? Neither ways, you should architect your storage to be redundant using multiple storage processors connected to multiple switches/multiple HBA guests. For the LUN size, its between 400-600GB would be good and do not put too much guests on a single LUN to prevent from iSCSI reservation conflict and tend to be I/O bound and result in "thrashing". Standard rule of thumb is 4-6 VMs per core and it depends on types of applications loaded. Always start with 1 vCPU and 1024MB ram to start with and increase if needed. Not recommended to use extents within datastore so plan accordingly. If you need to use RDM for sql, exchange or file server purposes plan accordingly since it has limitations on which mode to use. I would read best practices from VMware guides and use your vendors best practices as well. Good luck in your design!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos