VMware Cloud Community
evillasenor
Contributor
Contributor

Running windows server 2008 domain controller on esxi 6 does not work.

I used vmware converter to convert my physical windows server 2008 domain controller physical machine into a virtual machine. I was able to successfully convert it and start the virtual machine in esxi 6. It starts up with no issue as well for it not having any issue while up, but after I shut down physical machine all client machines lose local and external network connection. What else am I to do for my virtual machine windows server 2008 domain controller to work properly?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

some questions before we can help you:

Was this the case before you P2Vd the DC?

Also, when you say shutdown physical machine, is this refering to the ESXi server that the DC VM is running on?

Is the DC VM also a gateway or DNS server?

Does the same issue occur when leaving the ESX server online but shutting down the DC VM?

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
evillasenor
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

It was after P2V the DC.

No, I mean the physical server currently running our networks domain controller. I leave esxi server on and run the P2V virtual machine of the physical windows server 2008.

DNS server.

Issue only occures when leaving esxi server online and DC vm running but shut down physical server DC.

Thank you

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like DNS isn't working. Without going into troubleshooting a Windows box, have you:

Check to see if VMtools is installed and running?

Can you ping the DC VM from another LAN location?

Is the virtual NIC for the newly P2V'd DC configured properly and connected?

0 Kudos
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you have two instances on the same domain controller running on the network at the same time? This is bound to cause lots of issues.

P2V procedure is to run the conversion and perform the final synchronization with the source machine online. Once final sync is done, shut down the source machine and power on the VM.

Matt

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

I would suggest you that rather than P2v,  build new server in VMware environment and promote as DC server. bcz when it's come to 2008 AD on VMwar,we have to do few things. check below links for more

Virtualizing a Windows Active Directory Domain Infrastructure

http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/virtualizing-active-direc...

0 Kudos
evillasenor
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

I went ahead with your suggestion of creating new VM server and promoted it as DC server. I followed these istructions to do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04P0WS546Mg

It all went well but seems like DNS is not working properly. I shut down old DC and left new windows server 2012 DC running and all internal network connectivity is working but none of my client system have internet connection. Am I missing a step?

Very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
timweaver23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While the old physical DC with DNS working on it was up and running did you make sure that the DNS replicated over to the new virtual DC.

Force Replication Between Domain Controllers

0 Kudos