VMware Cloud Community
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running VMware tolls inside esx 4.0 which runs on workstation 6.5

Hello all,

I am running vmware esx 4 as a VM in vmware wrkstation 6.5 .

When trying to install vmware tools inside the esx , after the installation, i cannot configure. This is what it says.

The installation of vmware tools 7.8.5 build -156735 completed successfully. Before running Vmware tools for the first time, you need to configure it by invoking the following command. "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl" . Do you want the program to invoke the command for you now

I hit enter and then after some seconds it says . " This configuration is to be executed in a VM. Execution aborted".

How can we do it ? It is not considering esx as a VM

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The configuration required for running nested VMs precludes the use of tools in the outer VM. If you remove "monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE" from the configuration file for the outer VM, you should be able to install tools in the outer VM. However, nested VMs may not run properly in this configuration.

There is no release of VMware tools for ESX. The release of VMware tools for Linux may or may not work in the ESX console OS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The configuration required for running nested VMs precludes the use of tools in the outer VM. If you remove "monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE" from the configuration file for the outer VM, you should be able to install tools in the outer VM. However, nested VMs may not run properly in this configuration.

There is no release of VMware tools for ESX. The release of VMware tools for Linux may or may not work in the ESX console OS.

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

The only think i wanted was to test VMotion ( and i think a prerequisite for this is the VMs inside esx should have vmware-tools installed. So do you think it is needed to run vmware tools inside the outer ESX server?

PS: Yeah i knew that esx does not have vmware tools and i used that for linux .

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can't think of any reason to run the Linux VMware tools in the ESX console OS, even if they do work.

0 Kudos