VMware Cloud Community
e4prasad
Contributor
Contributor

Running Microsoft Virtual PC2007 in Vsphere4.1 (ESX4.1)

Hi,

During one of our Microsoft training session there is a requirment for the 4 windows2k3 R2 server so for this we decided to provide the VM hosted in ESX4.1 host. We have sucessfully created and configured the VM's with all the Vmware tools and windows Patches.

So after that we started our lab session, our trainer given the Virtual PC files to start the VM's inside the Virtual PC, but as soon as we trying to start the VM inside the Virtual PC the ESX4.1 hosted VM win2k3 server CPU is going to 100% and eventually leading to network disconnection.

Prior to this even a single file copy also breaks the network connection due to the high CPU utilization. I did'nt understand why the ESX4.1 VM CPU is shooting to 100% as soon I am initiating any process in the ESX4.1 W2K3 VM.

I am trying to run

Microsoft Virtual PC VM ------inside ------>Microsft Virtual PC2007 virtualization software ----------installed in ------->Windows2003 Server VM hosted in ESX4.1 ------------hosted in -----Vsphere4.1 ESX4.1 Server.

So from the above the summary is.

1) Why ESX4.1 Win2K3 host CPU is shooting to 100% as soon as any process is started ( even a simple file copy also)?

2) Can we RUN Windows Microsoft Virtual PC2007 ( Microsoft Virtualization Product ) in side a Vmware ESX4.1 VM?

Can any budy have any information on this senario.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

normally we could convert the virtual pc file into vmware format and run natively via vmware converter.

0 Kudos
e4prasad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jam,

And what about the very poor performance of w2k3 VM inside esx4.1. I allocated all the CPU resource and 4 GB ram.

Through Perfmon there is no issues with the Memeory, but I am facing high problem with CPU.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you install vmware tools in this server ?

APCI of processor is correct ? This can help to verify http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101385...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
e4prasad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MauroBonder,

Thanks for the suggesion. I have checked my settings with the given link. Every thing is fine, The given link suggeseted for the P2V issues, but here there is no such converstions, I have created the VM directly inside the ESX host and allocated all the host resources, but still there is a performance issue.

Is there any specific setting which needs to be checked or set in the EXS or VM configuration file?

thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

To run nested VMs, make sure that the preferred execution mode of the outer VM is set to hardware virtualization.  The default execution mode for 32-bit Windows 2003 is software virtualization, which will not work for nested VMs.

0 Kudos
e4prasad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi mattson,

Do you have any info or link for hardware virtualization of base VM.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

See KB 1036775.

0 Kudos