VMware Cloud Community
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Running ESX under ESX with a Guest HP VSA SAN

Hi,

I am running an ESX host under a physical ESX host per these steps.  Both are on ESX4.1.  I have imported the HP VSA SAN on the virtual ESX host to test a few scenarios but I am unable to complete it's bootup steps since it is showing the error below.

Virtual Machine Error.png

Do you know how I can address this issue?  I looked online and it might be due to the Guest OS being unable to see a compatible processor to boot up the 64bit OS.  I wanted to disable the ParaVirtualization but I cannot locate it under Options > Advanced > Paravirtualization of the Settings for the VSA VM.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this so I can test under these conditions?  Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cant run nested 64bit VMs with ESXi 4.  No amount of changing options will change that.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cant run nested 64bit VMs with ESXi 4.  No amount of changing options will change that.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned by mcowger, nested 64-bit guests currently don't work, because the necessary processor setting (VT) is not passed through to the guest. Unless you want to try the HP VSA cluster capabilities by installing the VSA appliance on multiple ESX hosts, I'd suggest you setup and run the VSA on the physical instance of ESX and configure the virtual network to access it from the guests.

André

Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you both.  I thought I was missing something about the Paravirtualization.  I have also tested this with a nested CentOS 6 64-Bit.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos