VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Route based on originating port id load balancing policy algorithm

Anyone who can tell me the algorithm of Route based on originating port id load balancing policy?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's a round robin assignment of the physical uplinks at the time a VM is powered on.

For details see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

André

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

where is the algorithm given in this document?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

An uplink is chosen based on the virtual port where the traffic entered the virtual switch. For example you have 3 uplinks on a virtual switch - the first VM is powered on and traffic goes out uplink 1, second vm is powered on traffic goes out uplink 2, the third is powere on and goes out uplink 3 and when the fourth VM is powered on the traffic goes uplink 1 and the cycle repeats -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Actually you need to read a little bit "between the lines" for this:

Choose an uplink based on the virtual port where the traffic entered the virtual switch.

This setting provides an even distribution of traffic if the number of virtual Ethernet adapters is greater than the number of physical adapters.

What this means is that - once a VM is powered on - a virtual port ID is assigned to each virtual NIC. Based on this port ID and the number of uplinks a physical uplink is assigned to the virtual port.

André

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i want to know like ip hash has a algorithm like in the same way a calculation is also used in this policy that formula i want to know

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't see any formula for this yet, but it should be something like

pPort = ((vPort + "# of pPorts" - 1) mod "# of pPorts") + 1

André

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I already know the article on this link but i don't know whether this link is genuine or not? because in this website it is written mac address change disable the port but someone told me it is not true. can you please answer this whether it disabled the port or not?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depends on the vSwitch/port group configuration. see MAC Address Changes

André

0 Kudos