VMware Cloud Community
StepanovDm
Contributor
Contributor

Rise ESXi 4 server to ESXi 5.1 and return virtual mashines back

Hi everybody.

I have 2 ESXi hosts, one of it is ESXi 4.0 and on this server running 4 vm servers. I create a new ESXi 5.1 host and I planned VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client to move vm from old ESXi to 5.1.

The question is could I use this utility to move vm servers back after rise the old ESXi 4.0 server to 5.1 ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you plan to move them back, please keep two points in mind: - Donot upgrade the virtual machine hardware. - Donot upgrade the vmfs volume from vmfs3 to vmfs5. - Donot upgrade vmware tools if it prompts.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes this should work. However, keep in mind that VMware Converter may change the VM's MAC addresses, which may or may not be an issue. I'd prefer to use a backup application to backup and restore the VMs. Unless you already have one in place and/or you are using the free Hypervisor, take a look at Trilead's VM Explorer, which supports the free ESXi edition.

André

0 Kudos
StepanovDm
Contributor
Contributor

In Saturday I try to moving one of my server from ESXi 4 to ESXi 5.1 . vCenter Converter Standalone Client working properly and good to transfer the vm's. I have the one issue only :smileylaugh: after migration to ESXi 5.1 vm windows server did not see his network adapter... After vm compare I understanding about this issue, in ESXi 4 the network adapters is INTEL , in ESXi 5.1 the network adapter is AMD... After moving to ESXi 5.1 I looking for the old network adapters in device manager (it's hidden device) and remove it. After this system found a new hardware I attached a windows server CD and installed the new drivers. Now the server is on the new platform.

0 Kudos