VMware Cloud Community
marburg
Contributor
Contributor

Restrict access to specific hosts/vC servers on vSphere Client

Hi community,

I'm not sure if I'm right here, since there is no sub forum for the vSphere Client itself, so I'm sorry in advance if I hit the wrong one Smiley Wink

My questions is if I can restrict the vSphere Client on configuration base to only access a specific IP. Unfortunately we're bound to this base, since I can't change VLANs and other options at the moment, to configure this on network base.

I'm currently so far that I thought I found something in a config file, however the connectionManagement in the VpxClient.exe.config doesn't seem to work in the way I want :-S

I tried the following:

<system.net>
        <connectionManagement>
            <clear/>
            <add address="<ip address>" maxconnection="8" />
        <add address="*" maxconnection="0" />
        </connectionManagement>
    </system.net>

Unfortunately this had no effect. I googled this a bit and it seems that this is a .NET thing. Is this even used in the vSphere Client?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Best regards

marburg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ande11
Contributor
Contributor

With the client you are able to point at a specific ESX host instead of pointing to the VCenter server.  Also, inside VCenter there is a permissions tab to control each ESX host, the DRS groups, datacenters, VMs, etc.  You can control how people interact inside of VCenter by that.  I'm not sure if this answers your question but hopefully it does. 

0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ande11,

thank you very much for your answer, but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question Smiley Sad

I want to access a vSphere environment, however only this one and no other one. The user should not be able to choose it. I'm hosting the vSphere Client in a Citrix farm for a remote connection to another site and only this site is allowes to be accessed in this case, so I need to restrict it on configuration level, since the other options (sw or hw firewall) are currently not available in this case.

Thanks and best regards

marburg

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

ACL, that's the only way to restrict it.  Block it at the Network, but if you can't control the VLAN you probably can't control the ACL either.

There is no way to restict it at the VI Client level.

marburg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi RParker,

thanks for your respones, I already feared that this was the case Smiley Sad

Besides that, how is this connection management in mentioned config file used anyway? Is it just obligatory for the config file itself to be working, or ist it actually used by vSphere Client?

Best regards

marburg

0 Kudos