VMware Cloud Community
Srikanthc
Contributor
Contributor

Restrict Storage per Team

Hi,

Need help in allocating / restricting storage in our test environment.

We are using 4 ESX servers and 2 SAN storages in our environment with 512GB RAM and 15TB Storage.

I am planing to allocating / restricting storage as per team/ product wise and I restrict?

I know we can restrict memory and CPU by resource pools, I want to know if there is way to restrict storage??

Thanks,

Srikanth Chagarlamudi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SG1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think you can use Storage io control  by creating resource pools for various VMs -- some info SIOC

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-vSphere41-SIOC.pdf

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

It depends on what you mean by restrict. If you mean amount of storage (like memory and CPU) then no. Assuming you are allowing people to create their own VMs then they will be allowed to use all storage they have been granted access to. To get around this you would need to create multiple datastores and restrict what users have access to which datastores though this has its limitation as well. If you use something like vCloud Director then this is possible as you can allocate a certain amount of resources (including storage) to an object. Based on your current configuration, if you must restrict storage then I would create a datastore per team/group and change permissions as appropriate.

SIOC is used to maintain performance in an environment and can do so in part by disk shares. Unfortunately disk shares does not restrict the amount of storage space that can be used.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
Srikanthc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you...!!!

0 Kudos