VMware Cloud Community
shammurthy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Restoring ESXi from the 6.7 version config bundle backup after upgrading to 7.0 u3 fails with this e

Restoring ESXi from the 6.7 version config bundle backup after upgrading to 7.0 u3 fails with this error.

(vmodl.fault.SystemError) {
faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
faultMessage = <unset>,
reason = ""
msg = "Received SOAP response fault from [<<io_obj p:0x0000005d7c1acdf8, h:5, <TCP '127.0.0.1 : 41889'>, <TCP '127.0.0.1 : 8307'>>, /sdk>]: restoreConfiguration
A general system error occurred: "

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @shammurthy,

you can only restore the config backup on the same ESXi build version it was taken on. So you can't restore a config taken on ESXi 6.7 on e.g. 7.0 U3. It needs to be the exact same build version.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @shammurthy,

you can only restore the config backup on the same ESXi build version it was taken on. So you can't restore a config taken on ESXi 6.7 on e.g. 7.0 U3. It needs to be the exact same build version.

Uraken007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You will need to flatten that host reinstall the exact version prior to upgrade and then attempt the recovery from the bundle.

Edit** 

I didn't notice that someone had already replied apologies @pkvmw

shammurthy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @pkvmw 

Thanks for the response. I tried Shift + R during hypervisor loading process to see if the previous version shows. but it's not I believe this is because of the partition change in 7.0. 

Appreciate if you can share any VMware reference document topic.  

0 Kudos
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm not sure which documents - regarding what topic exactly? If I recall you can open the config file you've pulled before to check on which build it was taken on. The build number should be in some readable text-based file.

0 Kudos