ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Restore data from Flat & Sesparse VMDK

Posted Apr 03, 2019 12:42 PM

Hello VMware community. I use VMware ESXI 5.5,

I have VM with VMDK 15TB, by mistake all snapshot was delated, when ipoweron the VM fond only 11.5GB old data from 2016 !!

I found 3 VMDK :

• Xxx1_1-flat.vmdk (with size 11.5GB)
    • Xxx1_1-000001-sesparse.vmdk (with size 2.5GB)
    • Xxx1_1-000002-sesparse.vmdk (with size 15TB)

I only can mount the Xxx1_1-flat.vmdk and I found data from 2016, when I download those vmdk’s to windows server I found the size was changed , Xxx1_1-flat.vmdk downloaded with size 15TB, Xxx1_1-000001-sesparse.vmdk downloaded with size 62GB.

I need to merge those VMDK’s to be able to find all the data, or any other idea ??

• 2.  RE: Restore data from Flat & Sesparse VMDK
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 03, 2019 07:18 PM

Do you still have access to the original datastore where you found these files ?
    A 12 gb basedisk with a 15tb snapshot looks a bit strange - maybe something was wrong with the download ?
    Unfortunately you have a sesparse snapshot - so thirdpartytools have problems.
    That means you have to build a valid snapshot-chain with ESXi.
    Here is the todo-list:
    1. unmount any vmdks as soon as possible. - The longer you use a basedisk without the associated snapshots the more files will get corrupted.
    2. if possible you should find the original descriptorfiles - and / or the original files as they are probably in a better shape than those that you already copied once
    3. check all of the 3 files with hexdump -C files | less - that will show wether they have been renamed - and give further clues for the correct size
    4. create new descriptorfiles
    5. create VM with a LinuxliveCD for a first test. Before you start for the first time make sure you create a new additional snapshot
    Next steps will follow once the reports come in.
    If this is important stuff I highly recommend we do this together  via Anydesk. Call me via skype ...
    For best results you should try to do the recovery with the original files on the datastore - so try to stop all access to the original datastore.
    And as this is a 15 TB vmdk keep in mind that any operations like a checkdisk or fsck or a recovery scan will take days with a vmdk of that size - so do not make any further attempts if you are not sure wether you got it right.
    Ulli

• 3.  RE: Restore data from Flat & Sesparse VMDK

Posted Apr 04, 2019 03:51 PM

> A 12 gb basedisk with a 15tb snapshot looks a bit strange ...
    Strange but that was really the way the VM was configured.
    The creator must have created a snapshot after initial setup of the VM and then forgot about it.
    Not recommended - especially not for important valuable data !!!
    Anyway - we now have access to the complete data and we are running integrity checks now.
    So far everything is looking good !
    Ulli

• 4.  RE: Restore data from Flat & Sesparse VMDK

Posted Feb 06, 2023 01:21 PM

can you help me with similar problem?