VMware Cloud Community
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restore CLI backed up config from a 4.1 to a 4.1u1 host

Is this supported? Looking at backups from identical host's it looks like it could be possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Should work just fine.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Should work just fine.

0 Kudos
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll image a new usb key with 4.1u1 to revert back if needed.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have VMware Workstation you can install ESXi as a virtual machine. You point to the USB stick using the Physical Disk" option. You can then restore the config and test before moving to the physical host.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you're restoring a backup to an install of a different version you'll want to use the force option (actually you'll have to use it).

Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for that tip Dave. You know, the real only PITA i would encounter in reconfiguring from scratch is the vswitch/port config. There any simple way to dump the config in a way to restore it without me manually writing a config using cli commands from scratch?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you could get the entire vSwitch config out of esx.conf.  The following is a part of the file (it's in /etc/vmware).

/net/vswitch/child[0000]/name = "vSwitch0"
/net/vswitch/child[0000]/numPorts = "128"
/net/vswitch/child[0000]/portgroup/child[0000]/name = "Management Network"
/net/vswitch/child[0000]/portgroup/child[0000]/teamPolicy/hasUplinkOrder = "true"
/net/vswitch/child[0000]/portgroup/child[0000]/teamPolicy/linkCriteria/beacon = "ignore"

If you look through the file you'll see the entries for VM port groups, security settings, etc.  But given that I can only say I think rather than I know I would stick with creating a vCLI or PowerCLI script to recreate the port groups.

0 Kudos